Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:31 PM   #1

Default help - what's the halo

When I was going through my sunrise photos from the other day I noticed once the sun came up I started getting these strange halos around the sun. They sometimes extend way into the sky. I took these in RAW and am having a time trying to get the image once converted to look like what I'm seeing looking at them in the Picasa Viewer.

Is this normal? How should I have shot these differently to not get this? This wasn't starting to burn into my sensor on my camera was it?

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:32 PM   #2

The first one doesn't show on my laptop screen here uploaded, but the halo goes all the way to the stop of the image getting wider as it goes up the image.

Patty
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3

I guess I'm not seeing it or not sure what you mean. I see the normal effect of the sun being blown out, along with the bright clipped yellow around it that I'd expect to see in this situation. Are you referring to something else? I quite like the colors.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:59 PM   #4

duplicate post, I apologize!

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 7, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:02 AM   #5

Patty-

I believe that it is refracted light as the sun enters the earth's dust layer. I had some of it in this (04/06) sunset as well taken with the Pentax Kx.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:44 AM   #6

On my desktop monitor this morning I'm seeing that it's even less noticeable. Won't be home tonight, but will try to reprocess the image and repost tomorrow night after work.

Essentially, in the top image, the yellowish area all the way across from about 1/3 of the way down to the top in a curved shape has a definitive "edge" to it. I don't know how to describe it.

Patty
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:41 AM   #7

Have you ever heard of a "sundog"? I wonder if what you're experiencing is something like a sundog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

Sometimes at night, I've seen a moon-dog. It's kind of the same thing. It look like the moon is borrowing a page from Saturn's wardrobe.

Maybe someone who knows more about star-gazing and meteorology will chime in.

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:11 AM   #8

If you tilt your screen back around 20 - 30 degrees you can see it better than with the screen upright. Obviously it's more noticeable if you have a high contrast setting (lights off)

#1 looks like a great photo to me !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:25 PM   #9

Hi Patty,

Check the resolution and color settings of the monitor that you see the halos on. It might be set to too low a color depth. It should be at least 16 bit, and ideally at 32 bit, otherwise you might get "posterizing" which is a sign of too few colors, which wouldn't allow enough graduation (gradation?) in color to display photos accurately. If it's set to 16 bit, see if you can set it for 32 bit and see if there's a difference.

I don't know if this might be the problem, but it's the first thing that came to mind when you said that you can't see the same thing when viewing on your desktop.

I always attribute anomalous setting changes on my computers to my cats. . .they're always messin' with me

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Apr 7, 2010 at 4:41 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:00 PM   #10

Very smart idea - didn't think of that one. I started one of the work stations with dual monitors this morning and it had reversed the monitors - the one on the right had the left-hand image on it. Most annoying and it took me a while to figure out how to change it back. I have no idea how I did it, I just kept doing things until my mouse went from the right monitor to the left by moving it left.

Some games work with different resolutions and color sets so one might have changed the computer settings but not changed it back when it quit. I ran into that once in a while years ago.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote