Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:12 PM   #1

Default Which SDHC card for new Pentax K-7

Hiya,

I am sorry if this question has been asked dozens of times before, but which SDHC card would be good for a new Pentax K7. Is the the following a good idea? : SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s Edition High Performance Card - Flash memory card - 8 GB - Class 6 - SDHC

Thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:19 PM   #2

If you can get a transcend class 10, 8gb it may be a less expensive route the the sandisk. I use a delkin class 6 16gb, panasonic class 6 8gb, and a hama class 6 8gb. I have not notice any difference between the different brands. I just order a transcend class 10 16gb. So I will see how much faster it is over the class 6 cards.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you can get a transcend class 10, 8gb it may be a less expensive route the the sandisk. I use a delkin class 6 16gb, panasonic class 6 8gb, and a hama class 6 8gb. I have not notice any difference between the different brands. I just order a transcend class 10 16gb. So I will see how much faster it is over the class 6 cards.
Great. Thanks for the advice.

Ned
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:49 PM   #4

Ive got a sandisk (16gig) and a kingston (4gig)

they both work fine, id reccomend getting atleast a 16 to save yourself from having to buy multiple 4 or 8 gigs.

I still find myself maxing out the 16 in a days shooting and loadin my 4 gig in

I shoot raw only. I should probably get another 16 gigger for extended shooting days

I take a lot of photos
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:57 PM   #5

Depends if you are shooting in continuous mode or shooting HD video to be honest. I have a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III card and it lets me shoot full quality HD video (although for only 9 minutes...) and my generic 8GB Class 4 SD card lets me shoot 20-odd minutes in one star 720p video mode.

Not had any problems with continuous mode with the generic class 4, although not tried it with continuous RAW mode.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:09 PM   #6

Hi Ned,

I use Sandisk Extreme III (class6) 20MB/sec 4 GB cards in my K-7 and get good performance from them. Other users have suggested that long strings of continuous shots benefit from the 30MB/sec cards, as they seem to clear the buffer faster, but it would be a very rare occasion for me to run into this problem. I did a few unscientific tests that suggested a continuous write speed of about 18MB/sec, but I stopped at 5 shots, so apparently didn't fill the buffer. This test was realistic for my use, so that's what I went with, and I'm happy with the performance of the cards. I shoot jpeg, so I don't need the really big cards.

Just to vent some, I think that the "class" system of speed rating for SD/SDHC cards is just stupid, especially since most DSLRs can write considerably faster than the fastest "class" rating (10?), and this is not a new development. I remember someone testing the K10 when it was the then-current Pentax flagship, and it wrote at 16-18 MB/sec -- years ago.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:18 PM   #7

It really does depend on what you are going to do with it. I hardly ever shoot video and only occasionally shoot continuous shots (and not more than about 3-5 at a time, very short bursts). I've been using a Sandisk 8 GB Ultra II, with several 4 GB as back-up and don't have a problem. If I were shooting much video or was shooting birds like Scott does, I'd definitely get something like the Extreme III. As it is, the cheaper card works fine for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:08 AM   #8

Many thanks, indeed, everyone for your kind advice! Good to know!

Ned
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:29 AM   #9

Hi Ned.

Personally I use a San Disk Extreme 8GB Class 6 card and have never come close to filling it. I always carry an old 2GB San Disk Ultra II card as back up though just in case I do. The class 6 is also plenty fast enough and I've never had an issue with action shots (fast moving animals / birds in flight). I rarely shoot video and when if I do it's only short clips.

Also when I'm in the market to buy another card it wouldn't be a 16GB unless prices drop substantially as I would prefer to carry multiple cards rather than have something go wrong with one and be stuck on location without any memory or, whilst on vacation, to be carrying around a whole holiday's worth of photos everywhere I go (if you haven't taken your laptop with you or don't have some other form of off camera storage).

Switching cards only takes a few seconds and unless you are covering a football match or are a paparazzi that's not going to be an issue for most !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:11 AM   #10

Hi Frogfish, thanks for your advice... learning lots of new things that are good to know...

Ned