Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Default K100d sensor problem with long exposure

for some reason whenever i have my shutter open for more than, say, 1/20sec, i can hear something vibrate in my camera and the photos come out blurry every time.

This isn't an issue at all with normal shutter speeds, but it's just another problem ive been having with this once great camera.

also managed to push the usb port into the camera body so i cant use that anymore, and it's somehow stuck on auto-focus even when set to MF.

Is there any hope for the camera or would it be best for an upgrade?
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:54 PM   #2

sorry for the double post, but is pentax fairly pricey with their repairs?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 3:35 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Sorry you are having problems, never a fun situation. Do you have an example of the sort of problem you are getting with longer shutter speeds?

As for repair costs, I've no idea, but some will charge quite a lot just to look at the camera and tell you that it isn't reparable. If it is reparable, then that can still cost a lot so I would weigh that up against a new model.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 3:37 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Just moved this into the Pentax dSLR section rather than the P&S one. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people will give you some good news.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:57 AM   #5

I believe you can always send it to Pentax (not sure where you live) and have them give you an estimate on how much to fix. I sent mine in a few years ago just under warranty because I was having issues with dark images. They were prompt and ended up telling me I should switch to CRV3 batteries as opposed to the rechargeable AA's I'd been using. Once I did that, I didn't have the problem any more.

From the time I shipped it to them to getting it back was just under 30 days. But, I live in the U.S.

You might be able to get a new K20 for a fairly decent price now that the K7 has been out a while. You might even get a K7 for a fair price. Might be worth looking. I switched from the K100 to the K20 Dec 2008 and haven't regretted it at all.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:44 AM   #6

Are you doing long exposures with a tripod? If so you need to turn off shake reduction.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:04 PM   #7

no guys, it doesnt matter how stable it is, i think the mirror that covers the sensor vibrates or something.

something is physical vibrating in the camera body
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:54 PM   #8

My K10D used to make a hissing (and sometimes popping) noise during long exposures, but it never affected anything.

Probably best to just admit defeat and find out how much it will cost to send it to Pentax...
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:15 PM   #9

There are two things that came to mind when I read your post. The first is that there's a certain noise that is inherent when the mirror is locked up - you can hear it when you put the camera on sensor clean. That locks up the mirror and you'll hear a noise, I think of it more like the hiss that Tachikoma mentioned. Try it and see if it's the same noise.

The second thought that came to me as I read your post was the anti-shake mechanism might now be going crazy. That would cause vibration and would make your pictures blurry, since your camera is steady and doesn't need anti-shake. Try turning it off and seeing if you still have the same thing happening - if turning off the SR helps then just shoot without it turned on. But if you turn it off and it still is shaking like that, then I would say the mechanism has failed. That's not so good - I would suspect that it would cost more to get it fixed than it's probably worth. Contact Pentax, they used to offer free evaluation/cost estimate but I'm not so sure they do any more.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:34 PM   #10

My original K-7 with the dodgy mount was a bit iffy during video mode, you could hold it perfectly still and the sensor would jump around like you were shaking the camera. Not sure if this is a software or a hardware problem, but like I said above, it's probably best sending it back.

If mtngal is right and they do a free evaluation it's probably worth going without the camera for a few weeks while they look at it.