Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:05 AM   #1

Default Cherry Tree Blossom Festival

I really hate downsized jpegs but here you go:

some pp boosting the saturation and contrast

a hair of a saturation adjustment

looks like trash in jpeg resize.. i have a series of this run but didnt wanna bog down the server. besides its not that cool

shutter priority bright day and no clouds so it was hard not to blow out the highlights in any shot
but this one in particular.

I thought to crop but I really liked the leaf and the color balance of the water and red bricks. These two ducks cooperated for many great shots.

In the minute I stood here, I got this shot with several different bystanders but I liked this one the best having the person semi still and in better placement.

minor desaturation here and a tad of contrast. I have a few other shots I like alot with different perspectives.

All with the Tamron 28-200 on the K20D

I took 900 shots that day so I've got a lot of work to do. C&C wanted! Thanks for looking at my shots.

Last edited by NMRecording; Apr 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:31 AM   #2

Nice series, reminds me that in about a month and a half it'll be time for the Rochester Lilac Festival. Hopefully the weather is nicer this year than it was last year. The waterfalls on that memorial would probably be nicer with a long exposure, but that's what I would have chosen. I know it's not easy for long exposures in a place that's busy with people. That is a nice memorial to walk through though. Would like to get back down to Washington DC again so wander around the monuments and museums again. The Cherry blossoms look beautiful.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:55 PM   #3

Looks like you had a good day of shooting.
I know that perspective in photos can be deceiving but, in #3 that young man looks like he's about to get, how should I put it... a rather painful landing!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:23 PM   #4

They all look very nice to me. Looks like it's hard to get shots without people in them. Popular place.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:56 PM   #5

Very nice shots, that remind me of the years my wife and I were newlyweds, living just outside Washington DC. I remember how beautiful it was every April. Thanks for bringing back some of those memories.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:33 AM   #6

I really like that cherry tree in #s 1 & 2. I think I may have been tempted to set up my tripod and wait until there was no-one in the frames - I love the way the large tree on the left seems to be 'protecting' the cherry ! I would also have bracketed - you may have then been able to use something simple like HDRtist (on a Mac) or similar to get a balanced exposure.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Looks like you had a good day of shooting.
I know that perspective in photos can be deceiving but, in #3 that young man looks like he's about to get, how should I put it... a rather painful landing!
I thought the same thing. Looks like a fake IPOD commercial by Samsung or someone.
placematters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:31 PM   #8

I really like the whole series. I like the first waterfall one, with the fast shutter speed freezing the water spray and the back-lit man. The boy looks like he's cleared the chain and is going to land without any problem. But is he supposed to be jumping the chain? I would think he's going out of bounds. Well done!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:09 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. I felt like cattle herded through that place, stopping to take a picture meant finding somewhere to stand up against for a few minutes or something to hide behind to enable you a spot to stand. You wouldnt believe how many rude people who would bump or walk into you or walk into your shot blatantly. Some of these shots I waited up to 10 minutes for just to have a gap in crowds walking. I had someone with me so I did not want to be completely rude :P

Regarding jumping the chain: You could actually pr,etty much walk anywhere, it didnt matter which side of the chains or fences you were on, but if you wanted to do it gracefully, unlike this young boy jumping, you had to walk far often to find a break in it. Thanks for your C&C on the water shots. I tried a few semi long exposures but they werent as sharp as I wanted and I didnt want to have to lug my tripod on metro and around all day. It would have been a cool shot however. I am not too pleased with the water shots in general, I have a lot to learn but I felt the ones I posted were sufficient and possibly the best in the bunch. Mike, you'll have to post up your Lilac festival pics here! I need to find a better translation for rendering jpegs for web. Pic number 1 looks like complete trash, as the original raw file is gorgeous! I'll have to play with my process and post up some more pics. My graphics card burnt out so its realllll slow in doing anything. I've got a new one on the way however so once i install it in my laptop ill be able to do more than pittle around with a few shots a day. That also means instead of sharp 1440X900 im using the pixelated crappy 800X600 resolution to process these, so I cant wait to get it

Last edited by NMRecording; Apr 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:41 PM   #10

A nice series. Definitely conveys the sense of spring in DC. Thanks for sharing.
tundraguy is offline   Reply With Quote