Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:24 AM   #1

Default Reversed Lens #2

OK these are not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but they were fun to take and I've learnt that reversing (in this case the 43 Ltd again) can actually give you better than 1:1 though I have no idea what the actual magnification is of these.

#1 - First fly I've season this year - minute DOF !
#2 - Baby Green Fly - those yellow orbs on it's rear appendages are pollen, I believe. The blackened object is the remains of the spider's last meal !
#3 - The very tiny spider responsible for all this carnage (ca. 1mm across).

All these look a bit more interesting when zoomed in - not something that works too well with the necessary size parameters for the web though.

Detour.
#2 & #3 had no processing other than a little cropping - however #1 had a facial in Bibble Pro. This is a VERY interesting program that speed-wise is light years ahead of LR (it loads in ca. 15 secs and any changes are shown instantaneously) ! Lovely workflow and touches (many similar to LR3 too) and recognises the K7 and (as the lens was reversed) offers a long list of lenses to choice from before enacting lens correction (if you so choose). But US$200 ? That puts it at the same level as Aperture 3 and not far off LR3 when it's released. Hmmm - though I do like that you can choose not to import your collection and instead just work from folders as you please.
End of detour.

Unfortunately for me (but fortunately for you - and the down-trodden flower patch) the rain came down just as I was getting in knee deep !

Looking forward to getting that Tamron 90 and a focus rail and then trying stacking ! And.... working on my technique of course to sharpen these up !

All C&C more than welcome !
Attached Images

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 11, 2010 at 5:33 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2

Interesting, as I've been playing with my Viv 105 that just arrived Friday. But, I like my subject better (two of my orchid plants). I'm not too keen on spiders. Although, your shots came out much better than mine. The shallow DOF is tough to contend with.

I know I'm certainly learning that I need to be not breathing when taking these shots! Or, go get my tripod out of the car.

Interesting also on the Bibble Pro. Just last weekend someone was telling me about Lightroom and how beneficial it is. I really need to research this some as the workflow process he was talking about sounded much easier than what I've been doing.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Looking forward to getting that Tamron 90 and a focus rail and then trying stacking ! And.... working on my technique of course to sharpen these up!
P L E A S E be sure to tell me all about it when you get it. Tamron 90 is on my horizon, too. Thanks. and thanks for the photos. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:52 PM   #4

The dof when you get into macro range is absolutely tiny. A flash off-camera comes in handy, if you are hand-holding it's pretty much a necessity. Using apertures less than f11 is pretty much forget-it. I normally use f14-f18. Don't expect a high keeper rate, tiny things will ruin a picture. I'd like to get macro rails, but haven't yet (one of these days!). I tend to hand-hold and/or use a pole more than a tripod for macro so I'm not so sure how much I'd actually use them.

But it is SO much fun to play around with macro, and really rewarding when it all comes together.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:49 PM   #5

Very cool, this is unbelievable magnification. Youll have to post more
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:47 AM   #6

Agreed, keep at it, today looks like it's going to be a nice day so I am trying again at lunchtime!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:56 PM   #7

Tach, all I can say is, you're gonna love the Tam 90.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:14 AM   #8

Cheers fella, can't wait, but going to hold out until I have tried the reverse ring as well.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:53 AM   #9

Patty - Ha Ha I actually like bugs better but they do move around a lot ! Luckily I'm learning techniques to keep them still. The only downside to Bibble Pro I've found so far is the lack of pre-sets. There are some but nothing like as many as LR - if you bother to use them of course ! Otherwise I have found it easier to use than LR - far more intuitive.

Ned - Will do !

Mtngal - I've found that either laying down or a tripod both work well. I haven't introduced flash into my macro efforts yet - but I must. I've been using F8 - F11 to try and keep it as sharp as possible. I do think stacking is the way to go but then of course a focus rail is a necessity .... and I don't know the Chinese word for them so haven't yet been able to order them from the Chinese EBay equivalent !

NMR / Tach. - will try !

Haven't been able to find the time to go and get the Tammy 90 yet this week. Tomorrow perhaps.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
a focus rail is a necessity .... and I don't know the Chinese word for them so haven't yet been able to order them from the Chinese EBay equivalent !
Do you mean a macro bellows? there's one from H.K. here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16277

Doesn't have brilliant reviews, but it's pretty darn cheap and might be worth the risk.