Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:14 PM   #1

Default A day at the beach (part 1)

Yesterday we decided to have a bowl of clam chowder for lunch. For those that are relatively new around here, that's code for a day trip over to the Splash Cafe in Pismo Beach. The marine layer was in the entire time we were there, so it was very grey, not the best lighting conditions. But I had a good time and enjoyed the clam chowder anyway.

It's spring, so there's wildflowers on the hillsides(K-7, DA*200):

While it wasn't crowded compared to what it's like in the summer, we weren't alone. It was breezy so excellent kite weather (K-7, DA*200):

K-7, DA*300:

Not many people were venturing into the water - it was too cold! (K-7 DA 10-17)

The kids were all having a great time. This little one didn't want to leave, Mom had a terrible time getting her out of the water (K-7 DA*300):

I've been trying out new ways of processing (I bought Topaz Lab's Detail and have been playing around with different settings). Any suggestions and comments are always gratefully accepted - I lose perspective after a while, so let me know what you think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:34 PM   #2

These are some great shots. My favorite is the one taken with the 10-17 a very nice perspective here! Your first shot is also incredible. It shows so many layers of geography in this image. Great compositions overall. I've never heard of your new program but these images are crystal clear and sharp so whether the pp or the great stock image, keep it up. Whats your method for reduction of images to get the jpegs without artifacting? These reductions make mine look like garbage.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:51 PM   #3

My basic workflow is to look at the pictures in Lightroom, deleting ones that have significant flaws or that I don't want. Then I'll make the majority corrections here (i.e., exposure, contrast, CA, white balance changes) and export tiff files (not jpg!) to photoshop (I mostly shoot raw using dng, but I do the same thing even if I've been shooting jpg). In photoshop I'll make any additional changes I want (usually not that much), and resize down to monitor size using bicubic sharper. Then I duplicate the layer and add whatever sharpening here, since sharpening depends on your final output and dimension. Topaz Labs makes photoshop plug-ins, Detail is one that does sharpening several different ways and the one I used here. Their pre-sets tend to be over-the-top for my tastes, so I've created one that seems to be close to what I want (each picture is different and needs different things). It doesn't leave sharpening halos that too much USM can create.

I have the pictures uploaded to zenfolio, a web-hosting site (not free but I got frustrated/tired of the limitations free ones have), so there's no further compression here. Biggest key is to do whatever sharpening you are going to do after you resize and only save to jpg at the very end.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:01 PM   #4

Looks like too much fun to me Harriet. You're gonna wear yourself out!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:53 PM   #5

[QUOTE=mtngal;1078144]My basic workflow is to look at the pictures in Lightroom, deleting ones that have significant flaws or that I don't want. Then I'll make the majority corrections here (i.e., exposure, contrast, CA, white balance changes) and export tiff files (not jpg!) to photoshop (I mostly shoot raw using dng, but I do the same thing even if I've been shooting jpg). In photoshop I'll make any additional changes I want (usually not that much), and resize down to monitor size using bicubic sharper. Then I duplicate the layer and add whatever sharpening here, since sharpening depends on your final output and dimension.

This is exactly my process here It seems some shots with a lot of real nice atmospheric lighting effects get tons of jpeg artifacting. It looks like a wash of colors smearing instead of the fine detail of the object flaring in the sun. It almost seems the nicer my photos are, the crappier they look on the web.

I have to say, jsut today i started using adobe bridge instead of lightroom because of my lack of graphics card. I find Adobe bridge easier to run through your photos quickly and still transition to PS. Lightroom is nice but i question whether the adjustments in CS4 arent just as good? It almost seems redundant to run LR. IMO
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:46 AM   #6

A great day at the beach! Thanks for sharing! #1 is indeed an amazing series of layers that really draws me in...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:47 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I like the one with the FE lens.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:57 PM   #8

MNRecording - how are you saving your pictures? Are you using "save for web"? That particular mode seriously compresses your pictures and that could be what's happening. I never use it (among other things it strips out the exif information, and I want to leave it in) so I save as a regular file, choosing jpg and then using a compression of 9 - I don't notice any difference in quality between 9 and 12. The files end up being bigger than you can upload here (one of the reasons why I use a photo hosting site most of the time). I have usually used 6 to get the file small enough to fit here, and that will create some artifacts.

I like to use Lightroom because it keeps me organized - I'll move out pictures I've completed so I don't find myself processing a picture that I finished with a week before. As far as photo processing, Bridge and Photoshop can do everything that LR does, and then things that LR can't. However, LR is nicely organized - for instance, the 10-17 has a fair amount of CA. If I've taken a set of bracketed shots with it, I'll use LR's CA correction on the individual frames before exporting them to Photomatix for HDR. Then after Photomatix is finished, it automatically imports the new file back into LR, where I can make further changes (I usually add contrast to my HDR pictures) in LR. It's all very convenient, a couple of mouse clicks.

Recently I've been playing with the K100 and an R72 filter. The IR pictures need things that are better done in Photoshop, so I've not bothered with LR, using Bridge instead.

FE pictures are always a matter of taste - some people will really like them while others won't. I thought this one, with its very extreme effect, was quite fun. But it's something that's fun in small doses, not for every-day photography. I'm glad I didn't buy it as a first extreme wide angle - it gave me a better idea of how I'd want to use it and how it would compliment the 12-24, rather than trying to make it into a 12-24 replacement. It means that I'm free to learn how to use the lens on it's terms, not mine (this makes sense to me, not sure it will to others).
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:32 PM   #9

Harriet, you've completely forgotten how to take a bad photo. Anything that comes out of your camera these days is top notch. I also like the FE effect in that shot.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:48 PM   #10

love the kite, taken with K7 and 300 mm.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote