Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:30 PM   #1

Default A day at the beach (part 2), gone surfin'

The surf was very flat. There weren't many surfers out and those that were weren't catching many waves. Here's one person who caught a wave before I got too bored and gave up, choosing to walk along the beach and shoot beach scenes.

While I was walking along the pier, I noticed someone on the beach with some pretty impressive equipment: (K-7, DA*200)

Later I spotted him packing up and talking to some people. Notice the guy in the bright green shirt - I don't know if you can read the fine printing on this reduced size, but if you look closely at him, you'll be able to get the idea of what it says. He's the surfer that I assume was being photographed.

The picture above was taken with the DA*300 and I wasn't close enough to really see him until I looked at the monitor. Now I'm disappointed that I didn't see him surfing.

Another picture entirely. I don't think I've ever seen a real wood board before, though I don't know if it's really wood or just a design that was on it. In any case, it looks good in the picture:

It might not have been a brilliant day but I still had a good time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:21 PM   #2

Some nice action shots. The fellow in green... would indeed be interesting to watch him surf. His prosthesis looks interesting.... I wonder if it's made specially for surfing. The person wearing red shirt in photo #3 also has a prosthetic foot. I would think that would take surfing to a new level of difficulty. I tried it once, but spent way more time in the water than on the board.
tundraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:39 PM   #3

Very cool shots. I like the ripplig reflection in that last one.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:02 PM   #4

I hadn't picked up on the guy in #3. I'd love to know what they were making - perhaps a documentary? You are right - the prosthesis looks like it has lots of flex ability. The guy with the video recorder had an interesting tripod - it looks like he's standing on a cross-member, perhaps for additional stability?

When I was growing up I really wanted to learn how to surf, but lived too far from the ocean to try it. I did some body-boarding and body surfing but that's it. Now they have schools that each you how but I figure I'm way too old and creaky to manage to stand up on a board that's pitching in all directions.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:17 PM   #5

that looks a lot like the tripod I used when I was into video myself.
its heavy but really solid.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:00 AM   #6

You know what, if you hadn't pointed out the text on his suit I wouldn't have noticed his leg!

Good on him, and great shots as usual!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
When I was growing up I really wanted to learn how to surf, but lived too far from the ocean to try it. I did some body-boarding and body surfing but that's it. Now they have schools that each you how but I figure I'm way too old and creaky to manage to stand up on a board that's pitching in all directions.
Fantastic shots. Never to old to try. I had my first go when i was 60. Didnt work to good lol. I got on my son's spare board and fell straight off the other side. Climbed aboard again and paddled out. That was hard as well trying to keep my head up and see where i was going. My son turned me around and pointed me in the right direction and shoved when a wave came. I thought WOW, this is awesome and in my excitement to stand up forgot to put my feet apart and went straight off hahahaha. Ill have another go one day. You can do it.
Keithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:52 AM   #8

I don't think I'll try again, though your story makes me think I might be able to. I find it more fun to just watch. Many of the beaches that are good for surfing, including this one, has surfing schools - maybe I'll try that.

Love California - Saturday I was taking pictures of surfing and today I'm at home, taking pictures of quickly melting snow and ice. Love it!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:16 AM   #9

Some wonderful shots in that series !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:31 PM   #10

Great colors. Love the action in the first shot and the colors in the last.
placematters is offline   Reply With Quote