Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2010, 4:37 PM   #11

No, only the DA*. So someone left off the * which might work in your favor.

It's an awesome lens, a little better than the A*300 but not a huge gain in image quality. It's a big gain to have AF though. I've been very impressed with it, glad I bought it even though I really didn't NEED it. I like the DA55-300 and it's got some definite advantages (size and weight) but it doesn't hold a candle to the DA*300. I refuse to do comparison shots as it's not fair to the zoom and I'm afraid I'd never use it again, now that I have the DA*200 and DA*300. Those two lenses, along with the 77 Ltd, make an unbeatable combination.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:10 PM   #12

Thank you Harriet, Looks like I waited too long, its gone now. Went for $875 oh well...
I'm also considering the Pentax 120-400 HSM. do you know anything about this lens?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:45 PM   #13

That's a Sigma lens, isn't it? Is it one of the (relatively) new ones? I haven't really looked at the lenses longer than 300 - I do a lot of hand-holding so I'm not sure I'd use something longer all that much. And I really would like to get something to replace the kit lens (I bought a good battery charger and new batteries for my flash and the K100, which took up this month's photo budget).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:50 PM   #14

Yes, you're right, Sigma. Don't know why I said Pentax, been looking at too many lenses lately. This one looks to be on par with the 70-200 f:2.8 as far as IQ and build. I really use the long end more than anything for my nature shots and would get a 4 or 500 prime if I could afford it. Right now the only thing keeping me from ordering is... trying to justify spending the last of my insurance on it and then being broke!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:51 PM   #15

Go for it. Being broke is no big deal, been there and I'll be there again no doubt. Getting a lens that you just NEED is always worth it - money is over-rated.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:01 PM   #16

I like the way you think!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote