Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:45 PM   #1

Default A Day at the Beach (part 3)

People of all ages enjoy the beach, even when it's gloomy.

There's always things to look at such as shells (K-7, DA*200)

The DA*200 might not be a macro lens, but it does fine for close-ups.

And it's not always kids that stop and admire the shells and stones:

Kids don't need sun to have a good time (K-7, 77 Ltd):

Sunshine isn't necessary to make sand castles: (K-7, DA*200):

There were no brown pelicans around. About the only birds I saw were sea gulls. This juvenile was happy to have its portrait taken (this was not cropped K-7, DA*300):

Finally, neatly organized shoes, waiting for their small owners to reclaim them (K-7, DA*300)

I liked the bright pink thongs, so I thought I'd emphasize them by some selective desaturation. The other shoes were black, so there wasn't much color to remove.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:28 PM   #2

A nice series. Thanks for sharing. I like the colors and textures. Neat photo of the children racing on the beach.
tundraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:45 PM   #3

great photos again. I love your gull picture, so much detail. A great variety of subjects at the beach. Youll have to go back on a bright blue day to work with some new elements to work with.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:11 PM   #4

I may use the picture of the kids for this month's motion picture. There's a bunch of other techniques I want to try first. It's one of my favorites.

The gull picture was easy. The gulls are very tame so I was pretty close to this one. The rest was up to the DA*300, which is just an awesome, sharp lens. We don't usually go for clam chowder in the summer as the Splash Cafe is very popular and is usually jammed (as is Pismo) in the summer.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:52 AM   #5

Great shots! love the one of the man picking up shells/pebbles.

Although the idea of changing lenses on the beach?

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:53 AM   #6

Some really well thought-out photographs - you are obviously thinking carefully about the composition, the light, the mood... #2 is my favorite!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7

Thank you for the compliments!

Changing lenses at the beach isn't all that big of a deal if one is sensible about it. The first thing is to make sure you figure out where the wind/breeze is coming from and then make sure your back is to it. That shelters the camera. The other thing is that I always use a two-handed way of changing lenses. I get the new lens all ready (rear cap off with the dot lined up where it should be to mount on the lens), holding it in my right hand. The camera is on a neck-strap, I'll hold the old lens with my left hand. Then I'll use a finger from the right hand to push the lens release button and slightly rotating the old lens with the left. Then I make sure the new lens is properly aligned in my right hand as I finish twisting the old lens off with the left hand, putting the new lens over the camera opening as I remove the old lens. Continue to twist the new lens on with the right hand until it clicks. The camera is never completely exposed and is only open to the elements for an instant. This method takes a bit of practice as it seemed awkward at first, but it works well as long as you have your back to the wind. I only do this when I'm away from the sea spray and when it's not raining, but most of the time I don't worry about changing lenses.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:42 AM   #8

Very joyful shots. You've gotta love that diffused light.
placematters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:19 PM   #9

Yep - the marine layer does make it easier to take close-ups, and the kids worked out well in this light. I've been reading a couple of photo books and at least one of them said to take pictures that didn't include the sky. All of my good pictures, other than one of the kites, had no sky in it. It really made a difference, a good tip.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:48 PM   #10

I really like the results I'm seeing of photos taken with the DA*300. and I'm seriously considering getting one. I noticed a used one for sale on ebay but it was describe as a DA 300 f:4. It looked the same as the DA*in the photo. did they make two models of the DA 300?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote