Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:50 PM   #1

Default DIY Macro Tube 2 - This time with proper photo's

Well went for another walk at lunchtime today, as usual, nothing exciting around the lake. I was just ducking through the forest back to the office and there was a bush, lit through a gap in the canopy that was swarming with all sorts of hoverflies, bees, wasps, etc feasting on sap and just sunning themselves.

Took a few shots and was amazed how well it worked (considering), but sadly the internal reflections reared their ugly head again so most of the shots were useless.

Definitely got the bug (*groan*) so will be looking for the best deal on the Tamron 90mm this week.

Anyway, here's some photo's, all A Priority, between f.4 and f.8, Pentax K Manual 50mm lens and the DIY extension tube.

Usual tiny bit of curves/saturation and 0.30 unsharp mask (they didn't need it, just liked the added contrast)

You can make out the reflections in the middle of the second shot pretty well...

Back to it tomorrow, my mate in work wants to come on the walk with me and bring his pocket camera as apparently he will "out-macro me" (shouldn't be that hard with all this lens flare lol)
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:37 PM   #2

That 3rd shot is great Tachi ! You could be dangerous with the Tammy.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:54 PM   #3

You're getting there my friend!
I'm not sure of the set up you're using but, I'm wondering if the reflection your getting could be eliminated by using a lens hood? Just a thought...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:07 PM   #4

Thanks both!

GW: The reflection is of the hole in the aperture, so you get a bright spot in the middle of the picture/viewfinder of the size/shape of the aperture. If you set it to f.2 it's massive and fills the image, if you set it to f.22 you get a tiny pinprick of light. I don't think a lens hood will help sadly, I tried shielding the front element (black card I carry for backgrounds) at different angles, but it didn't make any difference.

I only have a Pentax 28mm K manual lens as another prime, and the focus distance of that is literally touching the front element, so no use for bugs.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:25 PM   #5

Just ordered the Tamron

*is now skint*
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Just ordered the Tamron

*is now skint*
Cool, I'm excited for you. Did you get a new one or a previously owned model?

Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:25 AM   #7

New, it was 254.30 ($393) or something delivered from H.K. Couldn't find any used ones with a Pentax mount, and buying new in this country was between 350 ($540) and 450 ($696)

Had an email already saying it has been shipped, so should be here some time next week.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:34 AM   #8

Quote:
New, it was 254.30 ($393) or something delivered from H.K. Couldn't find any used ones with a Pentax mount, and buying new in this country was between 350 ($540) and 450 ($696)

Had an email already saying it has been shipped, so should be here some time next week.
That's almost exactly what I paid for mine today (US$395) in Shanghai. I hope the UK C&E don't stop your package
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:00 AM   #9

Thankfully OneStop Digital will refund any import duty you pay on it, I have ordered from them before and not been charged. Even if they didn't it will still work out a lot cheaper than buying from a UK website, and considerably cheaper than if I went into a local shop.

Surprised you paid the same locally as I did getting it shipped to the UK, although I guess the premium for buying it in a retail chain and the cost to package and ship it is the same sort of price.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Thankfully OneStop Digital will refund any import duty you pay on it, I have ordered from them before and not been charged. Even if they didn't it will still work out a lot cheaper than buying from a UK website, and considerably cheaper than if I went into a local shop.

Surprised you paid the same locally as I did getting it shipped to the UK, although I guess the premium for buying it in a retail chain and the cost to package and ship it is the same sort of price.

Sounds good, I have an older Tamron SP90 manual focus with the PK/A adapter and I like it a lot. I know you'll like yours!