Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:19 PM   #11

Well depending on how handy you are with a soldering iron, there's always the option of something like this but altering the design to just a video input jack for the camera:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/17/v...ision-headset/
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Those glasses are a killer on the dance floor, the chicks will flock around you!

Kjell
Well Kjell, if that's the case... I'm definitely going to get one!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Well depending on how handy you are with a soldering iron, there's always the option of something like this but altering the design to just a video input jack for the camera:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/17/v...ision-headset/

Thanks for the tip Tachi, that gives me some ideas.

Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:29 PM   #14

with the duel eye thingy ...My concern would be photographing wildlife...like tigers, grizzlies.....you know the hungry ones...

How ever can it be hooked up to a smaller DVD player some how??? the 6" LCD screen should be fine...

Last edited by littlejohn; Apr 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Thanks for the tip Tachi, that gives me some ideas.
Obviously a 20 year old CRT viewfinder won't be as good a picture as a new 910,000+ pixel LCD, but like littlejohn said, you could make something similar with a cheap/old TFT screen like an in-car DVD player or one of those "portable" Playstation 1 screens that has an input socket already installed.

Even if it doesn't actually work well, it could be a fun weekend project that shouldn't cost you a lot.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:52 AM   #16

I was actually looking at this :

The ARCHOS 7 home tablet is the first 7’’ Android™ tablet to deliver the Internet and all the applications for your digital lifestyle whether you’re lying on the couch or you’re out and about, for a breakthrough price of just 149 €. The ARCHOS 7 home tablet sports a 7’’ touch screen and a slim form factor of only 12 mm thick. Weighing approximately 350 g (0.8 Ibs), the ARCHOS 7 home tablet is extremely portable and can be easily carried around.

I was thinking of this for diving trips or holidays (no need to take my laptop) but maybe it could also work as an 'in-the-field' monitor ? The price surely can't be beaten !

I did however also buy a Seagull x1 to x2 right angle viewer today ($35). I also tried the x3.3 but the x2 seemed to work better for me. Hopefully it will help me to get very small DOF shots in focus. Seemed to work great in the shop !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
I was actually looking at this :

The ARCHOS 7 home tablet is the first 7’’ Android™ tablet to deliver the Internet and all the applications for your digital lifestyle whether you’re lying on the couch or you’re out and about, for a breakthrough price of just 149 €. The ARCHOS 7 home tablet sports a 7’’ touch screen and a slim form factor of only 12 mm thick. Weighing approximately 350 g (0.8 Ibs), the ARCHOS 7 home tablet is extremely portable and can be easily carried around.

I was thinking of this for diving trips or holidays (no need to take my laptop) but maybe it could also work as an 'in-the-field' monitor ? The price surely can't be beaten !

I did however also buy a Seagull x1 to x2 right angle viewer today ($35). I also tried the x3.3 but the x2 seemed to work better for me. Hopefully it will help me to get very small DOF shots in focus. Seemed to work great in the shop !

Well, good suggestion and price, the only problem I see with a set up like that is trying to hold the camera steady and hold another viewing screen at the same time. My thought with the glasses was, I wouldn't have to hold them and when not using them I could just push them up on top of my head. Still, it would have to be something I could try out first before investing any money into it.
I'm not familiar with Seagull, I'm going to look into that.

Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:49 AM   #18

Seagull are a Chinese brand. They make a lot of stuff and have done for many many years. Saw a Seagull M42 50/1.8 this week in a 2nd hand shop - US$50. I was sorely tempted but resisted as I know nothing of this lens !

Seagull make a lot of accessaries and whilst not of the highest quality the price compensates - especially if it's for an object that you may use occasionally but not every time you take the camera out, or where quality is not critical.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Seagull are a Chinese brand. They make a lot of stuff and have done for many many years. Saw a Seagull M42 50/1.8 this week in a 2nd hand shop - US$50. I was sorely tempted but resisted as I know nothing of this lens !

Seagull make a lot of accessaries and whilst not of the highest quality the price compensates - especially if it's for an object that you may use occasionally but not every time you take the camera out, or where quality is not critical.

Thanks FF, I looked them up on line and ordered one of the strait ones. Just what I was looking for last year when I got my right angle magnifier. I searched and searched but, couldn't find one anywhere back then,and ended up getting the right angle at around $100! If this works anywhere near as well as the right angle, I'll be happy.

Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:18 AM   #20

I've been pleased with the x2 - with my eyesight its definitely an improvement ! I think I am going to have to add a straight one too though as I find my head banging against the right angle whenever I have a flash on-board

There is a lot of rotation in the focus ring which certainly helps with macro.

Hope it works for you too GW.