Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:20 PM   #1

Default Just an Idea... What are your thoughts?

With my eyes getting worse with age, I have a bit of a problem trying to view my targeted subject through that #@*%!*$ tiny little view finder to focus and compose my shot. So, here's what I was thinking. Since I have more money than I know what to do with (ha ha) I was thinking a big screen TV monitor with an 80 inch screen would be perfect to really see my image. Only problem would be getting an extension cord long enough to get power to it out in the field, not to mention the hassle of lugging it around with me...

Well, problem solved... I glasses... that's right, check it out. seems like a good idea, wondering how practical it'd be.

Resolution:.................. 920,000 Pixels Per LCD
Aspect Ratio:............... 4:3
Color Depth:................ 24 bit color
Field of View:.............. 35 degrees diagonal
Video Input:................ Composite A/V
Video Input Format:..... NTSC/PAL/SECAM
3D Video Format:......... Interlaced 3D Video
Audio:......................... Double Channel Stereo
Power Supply:............. 1,000 mAh Rechargeable
Battery Life:............... Approximately 3.5 hours
Weight:...................... 2.4 ounces

Give me your thoughts...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:36 PM   #2
Administrator

That reminds of Jordi La Forge (the character on Star Trek that had vision issues), only his glasses made use of some type of neural interface instead. ;-)

Actually, I just looked up Jordi and found that NASA actually named a pair of glasses after him. See this page about it:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/tec...ies/jordy.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:36 PM   #3

Being a grey haired glasses wearer myself, I think it might be overkill. I understand the problem, but would you really wear that rig for hours on end shooting pictures? Maybe try it out with a decent return policy.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:46 PM   #4

Should work for cameras with live view, but I would have to know if it can be adjusted for those with near - or - far - sightedness. IOW, diopter adjustments?
Since my camera doesn't have live view anyway, I'll stick to my VF magnifier. It adds enough distance to make it comfortable to use glasses with the camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:16 PM   #5

Ehh this brings back memories of headaches from nintendos Virtual Boy. LOL. Why don't you just set up a laptop and send the pics wirelessly to it. Or, they have attachments for viewfinders that will magnify the image and project it 2-3 times as big.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:41 PM   #6

Lasik is a WHOLE lot nicer. I had RK done several years before lasik came on the scene. While I do use cheaters now & then, my eyesight is pretty darned good considering in '97 (when I got my RK), one more lens change would have made me legally blind. I shudder to think where I'd be visionwise now.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:43 PM   #7

Those glasses are a killer on the dance floor, the chicks will flock around you!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Lasik is a WHOLE lot nicer. I had RK done several years before lasik came on the scene. While I do use cheaters now & then, my eyesight is pretty darned good considering in '97 (when I got my RK), one more lens change would have made me legally blind. I shudder to think where I'd be visionwise now.
I had RK done in '85 and would love to have Lasik again now as 25 years later thee has been some reversion, unfortunately it's not possible due to scarring from the RK. So it's going to be a magnifier for me (Seagull x1 to x3 seems great to me for $30).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:11 AM   #9

Like VT said, in theory it should work fine. The only thing you will really need to worry about is input lag. Would be better if there was something for just one eye (like an old camcorder viewfinder, seen those converted for other uses)

See if there's a store near you that has one on display and ask them if you can plug in your camera and see how well it works.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:28 PM   #10

I appreciate all the feed back guys, it helps to get other views. chances are slim that I'd end up getting something like this but I thought it would be fun to try it out sometime.
I'm always messing with gadgets and what not. I did get a right angle magnifying eye piece to help with macro shots and it does help but, I haven't been able to find a strait one for normal viewing. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would sure appreciate it.

Tachi, I like your idea but, not sure exactly what I'd need or where to find it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote