Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Tomorrow we'll be broke again (sigh!). Some year I'll get the whole thing figured out so we don't owe money, but the more extra tax I add, the less effect it has on what we owe when we figure it all up. This is one of those times when I wish I were a professional photographer (i.e., earned at least a little money from my hobby) and could use all the lenses and cameras I've bought as a tax deduction.
We haven't managed to "get it right" since Brenda retired. It seems like every year, we discover another patch of ground where her grandfather sealed long term rights on natural gas exploration, and since all that land is in the hottest field in the country, we keep screwing up our planning with new natural gas leases. Once they start producing, we'll be in high cotton, but, for right now, we're just paying taxes on the mineral leases.

Really, I joked about the cathartic effect of photography last nigyht. Tonight, I have a had a "for real" withdrawal, manic episode. Suddenly, I'm not so sure about the miracle drug, Chantix.

Still, I had an exceptionally cool thing happen to me this afternoon...one of those moments that convince you that being a teacher is a good thing, despite the incredibly inane quality of people you have to deal with in administration. A young man, 15-16, same me showing some of my photos of the lone iris to a few of the young women in my class. He came up, looked over the shoulder of some of the people gathered around and asked, "Do you grow your own flowers? I already knew he had basically no home life, but he told me he had spent the small amount of money he had earned from a part time job to buy a group of iris bulbs from Wal-Mart last fall, and couldn't wait till he could see them. Of course, he wouldn't be able to take pictures because his mom had a nice camera, but she had been forced to pawn it. Any hearts being torn out yet?

I would be surprised if this young man, making the same comments to any member of this forum, found himself without a camera when his flowers bloomed. I just happened to have a few old P&S cameras I had bought over the years. One of them will go home with him tomorrow. If I lose it, not that big of loss. If I wake up a young man.......?

Don't throw away that old, cheap P & S.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:43 PM   #12

What a great story, heart breaking and warming both. You never know how or where you might make a huge difference in someones life.
Kuddos to you Paul!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:29 PM   #13

A great story. Sorry to hear about your episode with Chantix. My other half hasn't had any problems taking it, though he's been cheating every so often. We'll see how it goes for him when he finishes.

I love your story and from what little you've said, I'd be surprised if he didn't return the camera at some point. Sounds like a great young man.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
We haven't managed to "get it right" since Brenda retired. It seems like every year, we discover another patch of ground where her grandfather sealed long term rights on natural gas exploration, and since all that land is in the hottest field in the country, we keep screwing up our planning with new natural gas leases. Once they start producing, we'll be in high cotton, but, for right now, we're just paying taxes on the mineral leases.

Really, I joked about the cathartic effect of photography last nigyht. Tonight, I have a had a "for real" withdrawal, manic episode. Suddenly, I'm not so sure about the miracle drug, Chantix.

Still, I had an exceptionally cool thing happen to me this afternoon...one of those moments that convince you that being a teacher is a good thing, despite the incredibly inane quality of people you have to deal with in administration. A young man, 15-16, same me showing some of my photos of the lone iris to a few of the young women in my class. He came up, looked over the shoulder of some of the people gathered around and asked, "Do you grow your own flowers? I already knew he had basically no home life, but he told me he had spent the small amount of money he had earned from a part time job to buy a group of iris bulbs from Wal-Mart last fall, and couldn't wait till he could see them. Of course, he wouldn't be able to take pictures because his mom had a nice camera, but she had been forced to pawn it. Any hearts being torn out yet?

I would be surprised if this young man, making the same comments to any member of this forum, found himself without a camera when his flowers bloomed. I just happened to have a few old P&S cameras I had bought over the years. One of them will go home with him tomorrow. If I lose it, not that big of loss. If I wake up a young man.......?

Don't throw away that old, cheap P & S.

Paul

A great story, Paul.

It's nice to see that a good guy like you, has the opportunity to work closely with young people and provide the potential to effect positive change. Sounds like you are the right person, in the right profession.

You may not know until years later, if you made a difference, but I'm sure that young man will never forget your act of generosity and interest.

Les

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:17 PM   #15

Knowing how my last few months has gone, I can certainly understand a Pentax Therapy day. Took one last weekend when we went to Newport. Glad you could get out to eliminate some of the stress.

What you did for that kid is going to be remembered by him for a long time. I'm sure you've made a huge impact on his life. And, like Les said, I'm sure he'll never forget it.

You did good!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote