Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:57 PM   #11

Did you get the DA 50-200 or the DA 55-300? I don't remember what dimension the 50-200 is, but the 55-300 is 58mm.

If you get UV filters for protection, get one to fit each lens - don't get step-up rings. If you are talking about a polarizer, then it makes sense to get the largest diameter of any of your lenses and then rings. I did this since the largest filter size I wanted was 77, and then I also had a 67 mm lens and I couldn't afford two huge filters. The biggest disadvantage of using the step-up rings is that you can't use a lens hood or that lens's front cap. You might want to buy a second, generic cap that's the size of your filter.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Did you get the DA 50-200 or the DA 55-300? I don't remember what dimension the 50-200 is, but the 55-300 is 58mm.

If you get UV filters for protection, get one to fit each lens - don't get step-up rings. If you are talking about a polarizer, then it makes sense to get the largest diameter of any of your lenses and then rings. I did this since the largest filter size I wanted was 77, and then I also had a 67 mm lens and I couldn't afford two huge filters. The biggest disadvantage of using the step-up rings is that you can't use a lens hood or that lens's front cap. You might want to buy a second, generic cap that's the size of your filter.
I ordered DA 18-55 WR, and DA 55-200 WR. I have an 58 mmm polarizing filter that I bought back in England...

Thanks for ALL the other useful information, Harriet. I will keep that it mind.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Ned. I use UV filters on all my lenses. ... Jehan
I forgot about Cokin filters... man, guess it's been a while since I have lived in America. In England I bought Jessop and perhaps Hoya. Thanks, Jehan, for all of your kind help, indeed.

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote