Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1

Default More TC experiments (bug warning)

Despite the cloud of volcanic smoke floating above our heads, today was really rather pleasant so decided to try the extension tube on the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens. If it could just reduce the horribly long focusing distance slightly then I would be happy, even if it didn't increase the lens' 1:2 macro mode.

It did, but I forgot how hard it is trying to take macro shots with a lens so big, so it was still very hit and miss, and it was windy as well which didn't help.

Same bush as the other day, some new bugs to add to the collection, this bush is a mini marvel for flying bugs, can't wait for the Tamron to arrive!

No internal reflections from the Sigma as it's a DG lens, so pretty much confirms that the 50mm Pentax K lens was the problem before.

My old favourite the "beardy bee"

Not a brilliant photo, he only landed for about 10 seconds, but never seen this type of bee before

Big, juicy fly! mmm

Probably my "shot of the day" you can make out the lenses of his compound eye.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:15 PM   #2

Those turned out quite well Tachi, #2 is an interesting species, never see one before either. #3 & 4 are sharp and show good detail for that lens set up. I know what you mean about the wind, its a pain!

BTW, there is a better way to post your photos so we don't have to click on them and wait for the hosting site to come up and load the photo.
To the right, next to your photo in imageshack, you'll see where it says "embed photo"
highlight the box that says "forum" and right click, copy, then paste it in your post. it will show up like this.

Keep up the good work.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:15 PM   #3

Thanks GW!

Yeah I know about posting the full-size image, but thought I read something in the rules about not flooding a thread with full size images for those on lower speed connections. That was years ago, so it probably doesn't matter as much anymore, so will post full-size images from now on.

Number 2 after some Googling seems to be an Andrena Fulva or "Tawny Mining Bee":

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Never seen it before which is surprising, but shows what you can stumble upon without even trying.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Thanks GW!

Yeah I know about posting the full-size image, but thought I read something in the rules about not flooding a thread with full size images for those on lower speed connections. That was years ago, so it probably doesn't matter as much anymore, so will post full-size images from now on.

Number 2 after some Googling seems to be an Andrena Fulva or "Tawny Mining Bee":

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Never seen it before which is surprising, but shows what you can stumble upon without even trying.
Isn't that the truth! After I started taking macro shots in my back yard, I started finding things back there I didn't know existed!
here is one I wanted to share with you.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:29 AM   #5

Cracking shot!

Was that taken with the 90mm you mentioned before?

Shows I still have a way to go lol just hope the lens turns up while the weather is still nice.