Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:42 PM   #1

Default Experimenting with Tamron...

All the talk here lately regarding Macro lenses, got me in the mood to dig out my Tamron bag and try some experimenting. I had forgotten all about my old SP 28-70mm and thought I'd give it a quick try on this ugly weed just outside my work shop. I didn't bother putting on the PK/A adapter and just used the manual one that was on it. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out. Not a macro but, really nice close up lens. It was rather windy so I just took the one shot.

Hand held, F:22, 1/180th and on board flash.

After seeing how well it did on that shot, I decided to compare it to the SP 90mm Macro and took a few quick shots of an old hospital scale sitting in my storage room.

First, the SP 28-70 @ 50mm F:22- 1/180th on board flash.
What may look like noise in the black is really just the texture of the surface.

Second, @ 70mm

Third, the SP 90 F:13- 1/180th with the 540 flash and Lumiquest Soft box defuser.

Last, the SP 90 and the SP 2X TC. F:22 (not sure how it got set on 22, should have been half that) same flash set up.

I think the softness here is partly due to the 2X TC and partly because at that magnification it shows the numbers and scale markings really are soft because of the texture.

Now, all I need to do is go out and take some real photos!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:01 AM   #2

I agree that it looks like the TC added some softness. It's certainly not a soft lens as the other picture shows you can practically cut yourself on it, it's so sharp. The zoom is no slouch either, but not in quite the same league. It looks like that zoom is very good, well worth digging out on a regular basis.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3

That SP 28-70 looks like a very good lens. Maybe some of the softness in the last shot is also due to the on-board flash ? It does not seem as well illuminated as the others.

Happy to see the enthusiasm of Tachi, Ned & myself for this Tamron 90 rubbing off If anyone has shots (macro or otherwise) from the Sigma 105, Kiron Pentax or Vivitar (or any M42 macro lens) I'd love to see them !

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 17, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:22 PM   #4

I'm glad everyone is so into this right now having just gotten mine. I have my Tamron 70-300 with macro, but I'm definitely seeing a difference with the Viv 105.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I agree that it looks like the TC added some softness. It's certainly not a soft lens as the other picture shows you can practically cut yourself on it, it's so sharp. The zoom is no slouch either, but not in quite the same league. It looks like that zoom is very good, well worth digging out on a regular basis.
Thank you Harriet,
I can't wait to go out and get some real photos with this lens. Since I got the 55-300 and 12-24 auto focus lenses I got kind of lazy and quit using the manual ones and now I'm rethinking that.

FF, I think the main reason for the lack of illumination on the last shot was the F:22 stop, plus the 2X TC adds to that (can't remember how much) on that the shots with the SP 90, I was using the shoe mount 540 flash and a Lumiquest soft box defuser. May also have been a little camera shake as it was hand held and I'm not as steady as I'd like.

Patty, I'm not familiar with the Tam 70-300, I think there are 2 or 3 different ones out but, I know
the Viv 105 is a fantastic Macro lens!
Thanks all, for looking and the comments.

Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:32 AM   #6

Hi GW,
I find the Tamron 90mm gives sharper images with the companion extension tube (model # 18F), rather than the 2X TC, only to be expected I suppose since there's less glass in the optical path. I picked up my tube on Ebay UK for less than 10 GBP. When used with the PK/A adaptor it allows the camera to read the lens info just as the 2X TC does, it's well worth the money if you can find one. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:40 PM   #7

Nice stuff GW, you and all the other macro shots lately did it, got me looking for all my old sh**, extgension tubes, reversing ring etc... Haven't found them yet maybe the wife (or I) tossed them but the itch is there.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the tip Jack, I have one extension tube I mad from an old TC by taking the glass out but its just a manual one I have been looking for one with the "A" setting bit haven't had any luck.

Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Nice stuff GW, you and all the other macro shots lately did it, got me looking for all my old sh**, extgension tubes, reversing ring etc... Haven't found them yet maybe the wife (or I) tossed them but the itch is there.
Hans, I hope you find your old stuff, they don't make it like they use too!