Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:45 AM   #11

There's all kinds of useful things you could get, and that you'll probably get over time.

However, I suggest starting off simply.

My list of immediate things would be:

Rocket air blower
soft lens cleaning brush (buy first, then get microfiber cleaning cloth)
small camera bag

As I recall, you already ordered a large, fast memory card (which is the first thing on my list)

A lens brush is good for removing loose stuff like dust or dirt, that might scratch if you use a cloth first.

I don't use a rocket air blower much with the K-7, but its still something you need.

A small camera bag is a good buy, but plan on getting a bigger bag sooner rather than later. You can always use the small bag later on when you don't want to lug around everything in your larger bag, so it's something you'll continue to use. If you start off with a pretty big bag, you'll most likely outgrow it quickly and it wouldn't be useful as it would be too big for "going light".

If your computer doesn't have a card reader, I'd add that to the list. It isn't strictly necessary as the camera comes with a cord to hook it up to a computer, but its much easier.

As far as PSE books - I rather like the "Missing Manual" books - they are readable (too many computer program books are not readable) and have lots of good info. I used the PSE book when I got the program for my husband's computer, and learned about a control that's also in the full version of Photoshop that I didn't even know was there.

Scott Kelby's books are also quite readable and useful. They won't teach you every single nuance of every single control, but they do a great job of presenting settings and tools that you need to know to do most things you'd want to, and in such a way that you know how any why to use them. I've read both his CS4 and Lightroom books and found them very worth-while.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:56 AM   #12

cleaning kits...ahhhh! That now begs the question (with out hi jacking this thread) is there a thread antwhere on the proper way to clean a camera and when?

If there isn't one, can someone consider starting one? (I'd start one, but if there already is one I don;t want to start another...I've searched but no luck...)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:27 AM   #13

Frogfish, thanks for the reminder of the tripod... forgot... thanks also for the clipping programme... I will look into it directly. Many, many thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Rocket air blower
soft lens cleaning brush (buy first, then get microfiber cleaning cloth)
small camera bag

The camera bag is on its way, but can you give me one or more "quality" brand names or model of reliable "Rocket air blowers" that are safe for a camera, and lens cleaning brush... I just hate to get the wrong jok'n thing that is really worthless. Thanks for any advice you might have.

Ned
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:44 AM   #15

You know what would be REALLY helpful is if anyone has the patience and could go to www.amazon.co.uk and say "THIS" particular model is good, or that one, etc. I was looking already, but there so many choices. I live in Finland, and I don't know the language well enough to know what I am getting... and some venders are too shy to speak English... well, what am I saying, the whole jok'n country is to shy... So, if someone had just a moment to open another screen to amazon.co.uk... a point out a brand or model, I would know what is best to get and where to get it. Thanks, many kind thanks indeed for any help and assistance anyone can give... I am such a novice to digital!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:51 AM   #16

mtngal, many thanks for the other suggestions above! These are good to know, such as an author's sname, or type of book... appreciate concrete suggestions. Thanks. Ned
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
mtngal, many thanks for the other suggestions above! These are good to know, such as an author's sname, or type of book... appreciate concrete suggestions. Thanks. Ned
I like most any book by Scott Kelby. As for cleaning a good blower brush and denatured or rubbing alcohol or even vodka with an old tee shirt does me. Get a decent 1-2 terabyte exterior hard drive to save your photos to and then back that up with CD's.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:49 AM   #18

I have the Giottos Rocket Air blower - they come in various sizes. They have a valve that cuts down on any dust etc. so the air it blows is less likely to have gunk in it. I bought one of their kits that my local camera store had, but am not real crazy about using fluids on lenses ( www.giottos.com is the manufacturer's website, gives you an idea of what they make).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Get a decent 1-2 terabyte exterior hard drive to save your photos to and then back that up with CD's.
Oi, Ted, are you jok'n kidding me, right?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:40 AM   #20

Oh, no. Another thing to play with. I just downloaded the Evernote program. Maybe this will prevent me printing things out and then printing them out again when I finally find some time to read it and can't find the original copy. Now I can save them and print them later when I have time.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote