Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Oi, Ted, are you jok'n kidding me, right?
You can never have enough backups, I found that out to my cost and lost the photo's of my son between 18 months and 2 1/2 years...

Also, don't underestimate how much space you will need, I keep all my shots unedited and keep the edited ones in a separate folder. In no time at all it will quickly eat up a not insignificant amount of space.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
You can never have enough backups, I found that out to my cost and lost the photo's of my son between 18 months and 2 1/2 years...

Also, don't underestimate how much space you will need, I keep all my shots unedited and keep the edited ones in a separate folder. In no time at all it will quickly eat up a not insignificant amount of space.
Holy cats, I thought having a 500 GB hardrive would be the bee's knees, but one or two jok'n tetrabytes. But I glad to hear about this. Thanks all.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:41 PM   #23

2TB might be overkill, I have about 60-70GB of photo's on my computer at the moment and others on DVD-R, but depends how many photo's you are going to take. RAW's take up a lot more space as well, so if you shoot in RAW that space will vanish even faster.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Holy cats, I thought having a 500 GB hardrive would be the bee's knees, but one or two jok'n tetrabytes. But I glad to hear about this. Thanks all.
You can add a USB external hard drive at any time to store your backups, and keep it in a safe place away from your computer.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:46 PM   #25

Yes, an external back up might be just what I need. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:41 PM   #26

Ned, After thinking about it, I think one of the things you will want right away is an extra battery. that way you can have one in the camera and one on the charger. I actually have 5 batteries and three chargers. one I keep at work the other two at home. Its not normally a problem but, I have had days when I shoot a lot of pics that I go through 3 batteries and 50-60 megabyte of memory cards.
I have gotten cheap batteries on eBay for around $10 US. that seem to do OK.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Its not normally a problem but, I have had days when I shoot a lot of pics that I go through 3 batteries and 50-60 megabyte of memory cards.
I have gotten cheap batteries on eBay for around $10 US. that seem to do OK.
Extra battery sounds very good! I could be out in the forest... might just need it. Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Oi, Ted, are you jok'n kidding me, right?
No kidding at all. I have a one terabyte removable USB exterior hard drive and plan on another soon as a backup. I shoot a lot now in Raw+jpeg and these files will eat up hard drive space very quickly. Nice thing about the removable USB hard drives is you can take them anywhere and plug them into a computer at home or work or in my case my daughter's computers so they can choose which photos they want. I want 2 hard drives to back the photos up. Most folks coming from film to Digital under estimate the backup space required. I started out shooting the way I did with film. taking great care to set up the shot and then shooting only one or two shots each time....then when I figured out that digital means no film cost or processing fees I started shooting many photos of each setup. Free film means more photos taken. Digital means free film. I may go out on my front porch and shoot 200-300 photos in an hours time. Jpeg+Raw. In my film days it would have been 24-32 shots. Get plenty of good storage and then back that up. I keep copies of all my photos right now at each of my daughter's houses as well as mine. If there is a break-in, house fire or tornado. I have copies the will survive and be accessible. These backups are now on CD...I soon hope to back them up on Removable exterior hard drives at each location...CD's do not last long enough. in 4-5 years they can loose their clarity and be degraded. It is a hassel backing things up but it is needed to preserve things.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:53 AM   #29

Hi Ed! Hey, many thanks for taking the time to write about this information! Sounds like great advice. I plan to shot RAW as well, so many thanks again!

All the best.

Ned