Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1

Default What things SHOULD I get before my K7 arrives?

Hi gang,

Say, what things would you say are a must have... as I wait for my Pentax K7 and Photo Elements 8. For example, should I get a lens cleaning kit, and if so, which ones are good and useful? Do I need to get any books on Photoshop Elements 8 as going "digital" is all new for me... that is if you don't count my trusty new Nokia N97... And if there is a good book, which one is good, user-friendly and useful?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might offer.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2

I'll let the others recommend which cleaning kit, etc. But, I can recommend an online school that offers a six week course on PSE8 for $30. Well, actually two parts of 6 weeks each. But, in the end you'll never believe all that you will learn from this instructor.

Here's the main page - http://lvsonline.com/

PSE8 page - http://www.lvsassociates.com/registe...roducts_id=315

I took this course years ago when she offered it as a one part course. She is very knowledgable of PSE and full Photoshop. Classes are registering now as they start May 10. You get your lesson each week with a weekly assignment to do. There is an online classroom where you post the link to where you posted your homework and can see others classmates homework and comments and questions by them and the instructor. If you're a busy person like me, it's a great way to learn.

I am assuming there is no restriction to your location since it is on the web.

By the time you finish the course you will have a book as your lessons are chock full of all sorts of things.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:00 PM   #3

Wow, Patty, that sounds absolutely awesome... Many thanks, indeed!!!

Ned
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:51 PM   #4

I use cleaning kits from the local "pound shop" and have never had any problems, they are a great source for lens tissue and cleaning solution. Just don't use them on the sensor.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:17 PM   #5

Ned, this is one hobby that can suck you dry when it comes to buying the things you "need" to complement your photography. It all come down to how much you have to spend and how much self discipline you have not to spend!

One of my first purchases was the 540 flash.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Apr 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Ned, this is one hobby that can suck you dry when it comes to buying the things you "need" to complement your photography. It all come down to how much you have to spend and how much self discipline you have not to spend!

AMEN!! I agree with GW about the flash, too.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:43 PM   #7

I'd say the first thing to do would be to download the manual from the Pentax website and look it over so you will be prepared to use the camera right away. And don't forget to read Steve's review (do this before diving into the manual) - his reviews are always good as introductory tutorials, too. The waiting is the hardest part - these should keep you busy in the meantime.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post

I really "DO" hear ya, mate, that is why I am asking what is SHOULD (no, not shouting, just stressing)... But many thanks JW about the black hole of spending advice... I do hear ya.

About the 540 flash, is that by Metz or by Pentax?

Ned
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I'd say the first thing to do would be to download the manual from the Pentax website and look it over so you will be prepared to use the camera right away. And don't forget to read Steve's review (do this before diving into the manual) - his reviews are always good as introductory tutorials, too. The waiting is the hardest part - these should keep you busy in the meantime.
Yep, I have the manual in English... just wish I could find the critter in Finnish for my wife. Thanks. Thanks for the information.

Ned
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:33 AM   #10

Get yourself a good clipping program to save all the info you will come across (I use Together - but it's Mac only - which is superb but there are many others out there such as Evernote, DevonThink etc.- if you don't have a Mac then Yojimbo or Journaler are just as good). This has been invaluable tool for drag n drop articles, photos, Ebay items etc. etc. ..... although I still ended up with over 300 web pages open !

You can of course also use it for all the other work / home / hobby projects in your life - it keeps everything together (unintentional pun) photos, pdfs, website links, webpage archives, note clippings and full articles etc. And you can read them / access them offline of course.

There are hundreds of websites and thousands of pages of great info out there on your new camera / your lenses / PSE8 and techniques ..... there is just so much to learn ! Go find them.

Here is a link to a short review I wrote on Together :
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24188

You might want to invest in a spare battery too !

Edit : Oh and a tripod and a monopod. Tripod - get a good one but I've found you really don't need the best. Mine has horizontal to vertical switching in 5 secs, camera detachable in 2 secs (so you can switch between hand held and tripod almost instantly), light but sturdy legs and 3 multi-directional levers / knobs enabling rotation and leveling if the legs are unbalanced. It cost me about US$20 over here (it's a Yunteng VCT-690RM - but maybe you could get something similar on EBay (probably cost you more though and you don't get to check it out first). The monopod (US$13 - Weifeng WF1007 ) is useful because it can be taken anywhere and doesn't disturb anyone else around you (important in places such as zoos - some of which don't let you take in tripods anyway). It has a ball head and footstand (flip down lever to stand on) and will go from around 18" to ca. 72" plus camera on top - obviously not as good as a tripod but it does have a steadying influence !

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 18, 2010 at 2:48 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote