Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:45 PM   #11

Sorry to hear that Dawg, but it had a good innings as they say!

My little'un wanted to take some photo's with my K-7 when we went out for a walk around the lake today, and I was dreading something similar happening. Considering what I got for my K10D, you can probably pick another one up for a bargain. I only really upgraded to the K-7 as I wanted the video mode and something a bit lighter.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:23 PM   #12

Well ED, I'm glad you're OK!
I know that had to hurt, in more ways than one But, I have to say... if I thought I could get a new K7 out of it, I think I could manage to take a fall for it!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:30 PM   #13

Cameras are really computers - sometimes you have to just shut them down and restart when they freeze up. Maybe you have tried this, but if you haven't, try resetting it to the factory defaults and then take the battery out and let it sit for a while before putting it back in (or replace it with a fresh one if you have one). Do another reset if it still doesn't respond. Even if that does work, you will probably never trust it again anyway, but it might serve as a backup or second camera in a pinch.

Anyway, better it than you! And it is the perfect excuse to upgrade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:40 PM   #14

That's sad. Like losing a friend. My condolences.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:16 AM   #15

I'm just glad you are OK - that's the important thing. The camera can be replaced easily. The K20 is much more like the K10, while the interface is different with the K-7. Now that I'm used to it, I prefer it - but it does take getting used to!

Hope you'll like your new camera and get as good service out of it as you got out of your faithful K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:56 AM   #16

Yeah, the main thing, as said above, is that YOU'RE OK, Ed. Cameras and lenses are easier to replace.

Being in America, you'll probably get your camera sooner than mine. It should be a fun experience or new chapter for your photographic skills and enjoyment.

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:48 AM   #17

Ed, I hate to hear of your misfortune and I'm glad to hear there was no permanent damage to you. You've taken a whole bunch of great photos with that K10; I would say it has probably proven to be a more than worthwhile investment.

I agree with Harriet; the K-7's interface takes a little getting used to. There are still some things that I have to look for if I'm going to change them. But, since I use my K-7 almost exclusively for wildlife shooting, setup doesn't get changed often.

Paul

Edit: For some reason, I originally typed that I use my K-10 almost exclusively for wildlife, it should have been "K-7."

Last edited by Trojansoc; Apr 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:30 AM   #18

Thanks folks. It is a good excuse but I was going to wait several months after the next release from Pentax so the price would be lower or if the next release were a camera more the size of the K10-K20D then buy it. My K10D is a little small for me as it is. Oh well ..beggars can't be choosers and I really didn't have to beg the wife to get a new one as my sad face and tear stained eyes did the begging for me!! LOL
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Thanks folks. It is a good excuse but I was going to wait several months after the next release from Pentax so the price would be lower or if the next release were a camera more the size of the K10-K20D then buy it. My K10D is a little small for me as it is. Oh well ..beggars can't be choosers and I really didn't have to beg the wife to get a new one as my sad face and tear stained eyes did the begging for me!! LOL
Ed,

I agree on the size issue. Your next purchase will have to be the battery grip. I also have large hands, and the only way I can feel comfortable with any of the Pentax DSLR's is using the grip. Fortunately/unfortunately the K-7 carries a new longer-life battery design so you can't just use the grip from the k-10/20 series.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:47 PM   #20

Even though it is quite noticably smaller on paper, I didn't really find it that different in my hands compared to the K10D, it was only the left edge (opposite the shutter release) that really felt smaller.

You can get a Chinese battery grip for about £45/$69 from eBay. Other than the fact it lacks weather sealing, the reviews say they are well worth the money.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote