Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:04 PM   #1

Default Live View on the K20

Okay. I can't get to the bottom of what I'm doing wrong. I finally pulled out the manual to try live view on the Vivitar (Magic Lantern one) and it took me a while to figure out what to do.

Am I right in what I'm doing here? Go into the farthest right menu to option 30 and set to live view. Then, when I turn the camera on, set the lens length to 100 and turn the on/off button to the right to get live view active.

Sometimes I can get it to come up and sometimes it just sits there. It seems if I go back into the menu and reselect Live View it will work. Do I have to do that every time? I swear I had it working sometimes without doing that step every time.

Also, when I was doing this I kept having problems with the AF working. I have the camera on AFS (this is a PKA lens) and AV with the A setting on the lens. My battery is freshly charged from our trip to Newport a few weeks ago. I thought maybe I had gotten a drop of water in the lens when I went out earlier. But, it was only lightly drizzling and I was only out there for about a minute.

This was all after reading BigDawg's post on his mishap and I was getting nervous at first. But, it does work. I just can't seem to get the sequence right every time I think.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:04 PM   #2

Hey Patty,
Yes, you're doing it right. but, I'm confused... you said you were using a manual lens, then said the auto focus won't work? I can't get my manual lenses to work on auto focus either... no mater what I do!
Also, my auto focus lens won't auto focus when I use live view so, I'm guessing that's normal, although I don't know why.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:15 PM   #3

Okay, let me rephrase what I was saying, lest I be laughed off the forums. I am manually focusing the lens, but when the camera is in focus it always beeps and gives me the six sided shape in the viewfinder. I guess I didn't say that the first time, did I.

But, you may have it here. Maybe it doesn't work that way when in live view. I've only ever used the live view once when I first got the camera. If that's the case, I guess it's time to pull the manual out again and read through it again.

Thanks by the way, for politely telling me I was crazy.

Patty
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:29 PM   #4

LOL. I love teasing you Patty, its just so much fun!
I figured that's what you meant. Yeah, I couldn't get the affirmation beep or anything with either lens so... I don't think I'll be using that viewing method unless hook up to a monitor where I can see what the heck I'm doing!

Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:55 AM   #5

And, I love being teased by you GW. It's just so much fun! You're like an older brother.

I pulled out the manual again. "Autofocus can be used with Live View, but it is not as simple, quick or convenient as it is in conventional camera operation. Set for AF.S automode, activate live view. Camera will not focus automatically so subject may not seem to be sharp. After composing, press shutter release button. AF system will set focus and photo will be taken. There will be lots of clicking due to reflex mirror operation and live preview will temporarily go dark, but photos should be sharply focused."

So, I'm off to try this again. It's raining out, but there's more light in the house today than yesterday.

Patty
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:05 PM   #6

Interesting Patty, I have no idea where my manual is hiding. I'll have to find it and brush up on a few things.
BTW, you just had to rub in the older brother didn't you!