Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:41 AM   #1

Default Fly Macro

I had just a few minutes today before the rain came down but that kept the insects tucked up in bed and mostly static - if I could find any ! In the end there was only this one solitary fly

These were taken with 120mm of extension tubes behind the Tamron 90 - full manual of course. Exif if I remember correctly #1 was 1/100, F8 (maybe F11), ISO3,200 and #2 was 1/80, F8 (maybe F11) and ISO 3,200. Ambient light. Both taken on a monopod in gusty windy conditions.

Minor PP in Bibble Pro. No Cropping.

Any cruel love very welcome
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:59 AM   #2

Very nicely done....far better than what I've been able to do with extension tubes. The only thing I might wonder is if you could get away with stopping down the lens even further....to f/16 or smaller to increase DOF.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Very nicely done....far better than what I've been able to do with extension tubes. The only thing I might wonder is if you could get away with stopping down the lens even further....to f/16 or smaller to increase DOF.

Paul
I did try Paul but (besides worrying about diffraction which will kick in for this lens / combo at around F13/14) it was just too dark (it was really a very overcast, miserable day today). I'll give that another try when the weather's better ! Or I suppose I could always use flash
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:35 AM   #4

Okay. I'm going to have nightmares with these humongous creatures you keep finding.

Actually, these are great. You're mastering this quite quickly.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:51 AM   #5

Great shot! I love flies, they just have such unnecessary hairs and features which seem to serve no evolutionary advantage and just make people cringe!

Also, I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Ring-Fla...95e685ffd47733

For the money, it's pretty good for close-up work, although it has limited uses outside in reasonable light.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:17 PM   #6

Ha ha - thanks Patty. I'm sure you'll come around to shooting them yourself very soon

Thanks Tachi - me too ! Actually I have just bought one of those (should be delivered tomorrow) and it looks exactly like that one. One thing worth checking is that each side can be turned on / off independently and that the power can be varied. Better ring-flashes have 4 areas that can be switched on/off and there are more than the two variations in the power output than the one I ordered has.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:37 PM   #7

They only have the option to turn each side on/off, no power controls, but should be easy to hack it with a variable resistor. With fresh batteries, it is really bright, too bright for portraits (again, unless you hack it with a variable resistor), but fine for things like this.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Great shot! I love flies, they just have such unnecessary hairs and features which seem to serve no evolutionary advantage and just make people cringe!

Also, I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Ring-Fla...95e685ffd47733

For the money, it's pretty good for close-up work, although it has limited uses outside in reasonable light.

Tachi, that looks like something I might look into getting too. though you say it has limited use outside, I think you might be surprised how much it will enhance your macro's in day light.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:03 PM   #9

Depends on the lens, I tried it with the Sigma 70-300, but the minimum focus length is well beyond what the light can reach. Should be better with the Tamron 90mm as that has 1/4 of the focus distance... damn this volcano, no flights = no airmail = my Tamron is still stuck in Hong Kong...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:11 PM   #10

Oh, yeah. with longer lenses it won't help much, I was thinking close in Macro shots.

That volcano ash is a big mess! sorry its holding up your lens, I know your frustration.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote