Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:53 PM   #1

Default Raynox 250

I am shamefaced and admitting my sins to the world - I succumbed to LBA again this afternoon

Called the camera shop from the office and two hours later I was the proud owner of a Raynox 250

The ringflash arrived too but today I hesitated to put it all together in the office as they are already beginning to question my sanity.

However I have just married the Raynox 250 to the Tamron 90 and added the ringflash and at 02.00 over here this is what came out ......I am astonished at the magnification but even more so that a number of great macro shooters whose shots I've seen on the web actually add up to 300mm of extension tubes to this rig ! They must end up 1mm from their subjects !

The five shots (hand-held) that follow are :
#1 - the TV remote (next to 70-300 for scale) used for the tests
#2 - Original A
#3 - 100% crop of Original A
#4 - Original B
#5 - 100% crop of Original B

Sorry folks I too am disgusted at the dust I can't see with the naked eye on my TV remote !!! There has been some degrading and loss of sharpness from downsizing these shots.

Now I'm just wondering how any bug is going to let me get close enough to photograph it !

I think Macro is beginning to take over my life ......
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:21 PM   #2

Very nice!
its amazing what a good macro shot will show, isn't it!

The key to good bug macros, is hypnotism. you get a tiny little silver bead on a thread and swing it gently back and forth while talking real calm...

Seriously, I can't wait to see bug photos with your new setup!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:34 PM   #3

Ha Ha Ha ! I think that is the only way to keep them still !

Actually a tip the Polish macro wizard gave out was get up really early and spray the bugs with fridge-chilled water via one of the flower spray thingamejigs. Seems that will keep them still for a minute or so. Mine's in the fridge already (and has been there for a few days now) *bows head in shame*
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:08 PM   #4

I've thought of getting a Raynox sometimes, I think it's a good way to go. It's one of the better close-up add-on lenses and does seem to work well with macro lenses especially (which are very sharp to begin with). I know you'll have a blast with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:49 AM   #5

Mtngal : yes it was after looking at some of the shots from much more experienced macro shooters, super sharp and very very close up, who use the Raynox lenses (150 & 250, sometimes in combo), often with tubes or convertors too, that persuaded me it would be a good investment. There seems to be very little to almost no degradation in IQ from adding the extra glass - impressive.