Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:47 PM   #1

Default Not one of my better days...

Feeling as poorly as I have the past few weeks, I haven't felt up to getting out to do any shooting other than a few test shots indoors. Having such good results with the Macro test shots I was eager to try something involving a little more fine detail.
Seemed like a good idea when I started...
First I tried a hand held shot but, needless to say, with the equivalent of a 360mm macro lens, they were not all that successful. I went back inside and got my tripod. while adjusting the tripod to get as low to the ground as I could, my AF500 flash fell off the camera and hit the ground hard enough to pop the battery door off and dump the batteries. One battery completely disappeared! have no idea where it went but, they were almost spent anyway so no big loss. But, something on the battery cover broke off and now won't stay closed. Bummer, but I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't my AF 540.

OK, back inside to get the 540, and back out to get the shot...
It was so windy I couldn't keep the dandelion I was targeting in the frame. So, into the shop to get the the device I made for the purpose of holding items such as this steady in the wind. Attached one end to the tripod and clipped the other end to the stem and proceeded to focus... bumped the tripod slightly and shook the dandelion just enough to make it fall apart!

Not to worry, I picked a new one and went through the process of resetting the tripod and clipping onto another stem, oops, not again! and again!
after three tries, I finally got a couple shots. Only problem, even with the brace clipped on on it, the silly thing still shook like a four year old on a caffeine overdose!

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Well even though they were rather soft, I might as well show what I got for all my effort, besides a broken flash a lost battery and what was left of my sanity.

Doesn't look like I'll be quitting my day job any time soon...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:50 PM   #2

Ha ha - sounds like a Basil Fawlty episode. I am pleased though that macro has given you a lift until you are sound enough for a Himalayan trek.

There is such beauty in simple objects when viewed from a different perspective as your shots show ! You picked a really tough subject.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:53 AM   #3

GW - have you tried duct tape on the battery door? I have an old canon P&S that is one of the collection we use to teach kids about photography - it's battery door is held on with duct tape...

Spring breezes sure are a problem for us wildflower photographers! Glad you have so many of this "rare" plant to keep working on!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:13 AM   #4

Sounds like you had FUN GW, but the shots turned out good,

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:49 AM   #5

You are having a run on bad luck right now, aren't you? Sorry to hear about the flash, though duct tape is good for all kinds of things. It didn't work when the battery door broke off an old flash I had, but it's always worth a try.

Dandilions are such FUN to photograph - I have tons of pictures of them. However, I don't bother if there's any breeze at all. Even regular wildflowers are difficult in a breeze.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:09 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Frogfish;

There is such beauty in simple objects when viewed from a different perspective...
[B]
Isn't that the truth! It never fails to amaze me how much beauty there is hidden in miniature objects just waiting to be discovered.[/B]

Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
GW - have you tried duct tape on the battery door? I have an old canon P&S that is one of the collection we use to teach kids about photography - it's battery door is held on with duct tape...

Spring breezes sure are a problem for us wildflower photographers! Glad you have so many of this "rare" plant to keep working on!
Mole, I only wish they were a bit more rare!

Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:49 PM   #8

Thank you Hans, I appreciate it.

Thank you, Harriet.
You'd think I'd know better than to even try, even with the arm brace clipped on the stem it shivers in the wind. Makes it impossible to get a really sharp shot of one.

Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:58 PM   #9

Possibly you could have taken the dandelion inside for the shot, where there is no wind. Anyway, I like the shot you took, since they are soft in real life, it works for me.

Sorry to hear about the flash door, but like Harriet, Mole and Red Green say, Duct Tape is the Handyman's best friend, followed closely by JB-Weld.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:56 PM   #10

Thanks Tom,
The darn things were so fragile they disintegrated at the slightest touch so I gave up on that.

Regarding the flash, Yeah, I think duct tape will work but, I looked at it closer today and discovered it has a a little crack in the housing too. I'll probably end up taking it apart when I feel better, and super glue it. Also, I see where a little tiny tab broke off, I'm going to try to fix if I can. Otherwise I just use the tape.