Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   Garden Macro (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/169490-garden-macro.html)

Frogfish Apr 20, 2010 2:43 PM

Garden Macro

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Ho another rainy day but this time a gap in the showers meant I was able to get out into the garden to try out my new macro rig (Tamron 90 with Raynox 250 & LED ringflash).

My GSD was delighted, she thought I was there to keep her company and play play play ! So she got 30 mins and when I thought she was tired out I started looking for bugs........ I think I must be the only person in the world whose garden is a virtual bug-free zone.

I did however find a few common flies, some micro flies, a solitary wood louse and some mini snails. A veritable macro buffet !

Anyway here we go, there has been some PP and minor cropping :-

1. This is a very fragrant tree - I have been here too long because I know the Chinese word but have forgotten the English ! This bud is still growing and is tiny, maybe 10mm across.

2. Raindrop 1 - I love this ! Look at the reflection in the drop (it's the ringflash) and all up and down the twig (mini ringflashes) !

3. Raindrop 2 - I love the reflection of the rest of the tree in the drop.

4. Tea Rose - or something like that ! This is especially for Patty. It is quite small, maybe 5cm across but a really beautiful flower.

5. Fly 2 - a very small fly (ca. 1cm long)

Another 3 photos to come in the next post below.

Frogfish Apr 20, 2010 2:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The next 3 :-

6. Fly 2 - same type of fly we saw earlier this week but this was a smaller immature version (ca. 20 mm)

7. Your common garden Wood Louse.

8. Mini Snail (ca. 15 mm) - those catchlights are the ringflash reflections again !

Goldwinger Apr 20, 2010 3:01 PM

Looking good FF.
Warning, Macro photography can be habit forming.
It can also cause other people to regard you as a little strange,
and sometime will take extraordinary measures to avoid you at social functions.
:D

Frogfish Apr 20, 2010 3:03 PM

Ha Ha - I guess I may be checking into a clinic in the not too distant future !

Good luck tomorrow mate !

hnikesch Apr 20, 2010 6:12 PM

Verry nice, I think the rain drops add a lot to the images, the ring flash reflections are also interesting

Hans

Frogfish Apr 21, 2010 3:30 AM

Thank you Hans ! Yes, I feel the same. When taking the shots I didn't realise I'd get the ring-flash reflected in everything but it produced some interesting results.

Tachikoma Apr 21, 2010 7:29 AM

Good work!

Glad the LED ring flash is working fine for you outside, just waiting for my Tamron now lol, I have some catching up to do!

Frogfish Apr 21, 2010 10:23 AM

Thanks Tachi. I feel for you my friend ! Luckily flights are sky-bound again so hopefully you'll have your mitts on it very soon !

Tachikoma Apr 21, 2010 12:33 PM

Yeah, not too worried about it, got other things on my mind at the moment anyway.