Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:40 PM   #11

Maybe there is another solution - I 've heard about the Nikon or CY to PK adaptors. I don't know if you retain full auto capability but maybe someone else here does ?

That way you could buy a Canikon 50.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:48 AM   #12

Thanks for the tips guys!!
shubonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Maybe there is another solution - I 've heard about the Nikon or CY to PK adaptors. I don't know if you retain full auto capability but maybe someone else here does ?

That way you could buy a Canikon 50.
FF, I have seen some adapters made in China that will adapt Nikon or Canon to a Pentax body but, they are hard to find. And, they don't retain the auto functions, you can only use it as a manual lens. For me, I figured why buy other brand of lens, when I can get just as good in a Pentax manual lens, for less money?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:31 AM   #14

GW. Yes those are the ones I'm referring to, have seen advertised here in China and mentioned on MF forums. Makes sense of course that you would lose all the auto functions. In that case, as you say, there are so many classic and wonderful M42 / older Pentax lenses that can be bought for very very reasonable prices.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:48 AM   #15

So i bought a SMC Pentax A 50mm f2.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seems like its in mint condition.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:26 AM   #16

Here is a bit of additional information on using "A" and "M" lenses on Pentax DSLR bodies.

Enjoy your new lens....

Also, on your new "A" lens, on the aperture ring there is a green "A" right next to the f22 aperture setting. In order to set the lens into the automatic state, or to move past the f22 into the "A" position, there is a little button next to the green A. Push it down, and then you are able to turn the aperture ring and set the lens to "Automatic".

Last edited by interested_observer; Apr 25, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:15 PM   #17

Thanks for the tip IO, definitely would not have known them if you didn't tell me
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:48 PM   #18

Hey guys, i'm loving my new lens. Here's a little sampling:

Any other older lenses that are good and cheap?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubonker View Post
So i bought a SMC Pentax A 50mm f2.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seems like its in mint condition.
Glad you like your A 50mm f2. I bought one a few years ago.

I found a great deal on an A 35-105mm f3.5 at a local shop last year. If you come across one for under $150 I would reccommend it. But don't take one person's suggestion - there are sites like this link http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/index.php where you can get a multitude of user reviews.
Also for 3rd party Pentax mount lenses here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/

Pbase.com also has some reviews, but that site is handy for looking at photos taken with a camera or lens that you're interested in; this link for example: http://www.pbase.com/cameras

Happy hunting!
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:24 PM   #20

You might keep an eye out for some Kiron lenses. They are usually very inexpensive because most people have never heard of the company - it's long gone. The only thing you have to look out for is that some can get oil on the aperture blades - I have a 80-200 in that condition that my father had bought new. The lens is very sharp but not very useful in its current condition. The same lens can be bought for less that it would cost to repair mine, but I'm too sentimental to get rid of it. It originally sold for $500, quite a bit of money for a lens back in the '80s. It's a K-mount lens - no A setting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote