Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:33 AM   #1

Default Pentax Prime Lens, on the cheap?

I have a Pentax K-x, and i'm looking for a prime lens with AF. The ones listed on their website are all $400+. I used to own Nikon and they had a really cheap f1.8 50mm lens for $100. Canon also has a f1.8 50mm lens for $100.

So are there any cheaper pentax alternatives?
shubonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubonker View Post
I have a Pentax K-x, and i'm looking for a prime lens with AF. The ones listed on their website are all $400+. I used to own Nikon and they had a really cheap f1.8 50mm lens for $100. Canon also has a f1.8 50mm lens for $100.

So are there any cheaper pentax alternatives?
The M or A lens are relatively inexpensive.
Look for M or A 50mmF2. They are of very competitive quality at around $40-60 on ebay
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:22 AM   #3

Pentax don't have a low cost 50/55mm.

Best check EBay ! There are tons of good primes on there, I just put in Pentax 50mm and found 624 results including a very good Sears 1.7 Auto currently bidding at $20, Pentax SMC-A F2.0 no bids, Pentax SMC A f2 for $69 BIN, Vivitar Auto F1.2 K mount $32 BIN and so on. Just do a Google search after you spot something to check that it can provide full auto.

Good luck !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:25 AM   #4

Default Vivitar 24mm f2.8

I use the Vivitar 24mm f2.8 manual with a Kx and get very good results. Paid $79 about a year ago. Catch-in-focus works very well, almost as good as AF. Shot below is at ISO 12,800 with some PP.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:05 PM   #5

I recently bought a smc m 50mm 1.7 for not even $40,- (and I got a pentax me, and some old 80-200 and a 300mm lens with it )
It gives nice results and compared to my two kit lenses (da l 18-55 and da l 50-200) it is certainly not an underdog.
Also together with an extension tube or teleconverter you can get your hands on macro photography.

Carlo
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:12 PM   #6

The Pentax auto focus 50mm used to be a reasonable priced lens. Then all of a sudden it took a leap in price. Even the manual 1.4 and 1.7 got a bit more pricey than they were a couple years back. You wont find anything new, for less than $300now in a 50mm prime with auto focus now days.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:04 PM   #7

This makes me quite sad, but i guess i will have to deal. Thanks guys!

I might pick up one of the mf prime lenses off ebay.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:29 PM   #8

Yup, I've been monitoring eBay and even the A 50mm 1.7 is ending up anywhere from $69-100. Pentax needs to make a cheapo Auto focus 50mm like Canon and Nikon. In the meantime, the 70mm Limited with $100 rebate is looking much more enticing then the FA 50mm.
taun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:13 PM   #9

Do you guys know if i'll need an adapter for the older k mount lenses on my k-x?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:32 PM   #10

Yes. Any K mount lens will work with any of the Pentax dSLR cameras, no adapter needed. You can use M42 screw-mount lenses on the K-x but they do require an adapter.

K-mount lenses retain whatever capability the lens had when it was made. If you get an F lens, it will still be auto focus/auto exposure. An A lens will be auto exposure/manual focus. If you get an M or K lens, it will be manual focus/manual exposure. What manual exposure means is that you set the aperture on the lens itself, use M mode on the camera and push the green button so the camera will temporarily stop down and meter, setting the shutter speed. Its very simple - takes a lot more time to explain it than it does to actually do it.

When I bought my first Pentax dSLR (a DS), I got it because I could use some lenses I had originally bought in 1980. While I used the kit lens some, I tended to use the old manual lenses more and pushing the button (it's a different one on the DS) became second nature.

Take a look at KEH - they sell used lenses and have a great reputation. They almost always have M 50 mm 1.7 and 1.4 lenses for sale. I prefer the 1.7 version, it's sharper wide open than my 1.4 lens is. For several years I kept talking about selling the 1.4 but never did anything about it - I'm glad I didn't get around to selling it as I now use it reversed in front of a macro lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote