Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
Frogfish, please tell me if I am mis-using Live view. I see this as a gimmick and don't ever use it. Sliding the power switch over to live view is a gesture that is nearly impossible to NOT budge the camera so almost every shot with it used adds a blurred motion from the camera moving, even when tripod mounted. This seems like a moronic way of initiating live view, as its much easier to click the shutter button and delete it rather than firmly hold the camera in place with one hand and ever so slightly move the power switch over. If it was a button opposed to a spring loaded slider, it wouldnt result in the camera wanting to move so much.

Is this not how live view works? It seems 1000 times easier to snap the pic and decide if its garbage rather than use live view and hope you get a semi decent non blurred photo. I know it IS used for reference, but when Live view works the same way as taking a photograph, only requiring a harder to use method of snapping the image, it seems completely useless. no?
The way I use it (for macro) is to get myself almost in position and the hit the Live View button - now AF doesn't show in LV but if you gently rock back and forth then the subject comes into focus and you can take the shot.

I'm sure it has other uses too (e.g checking WB and other settings plus DOF) but that's how I use it. Maybe someone else can describe how and for what they use it ?
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:37 PM   #22

Are you on the K7? Im using the K20d and I've never gotten the Live view to do anything other than flash the pic on the screen for up to a minute, which like I said is exactly the same as taking the pic itself. I must be doing something wrong?! The way you speak of it actually sounds like a 'live' view, and not the alternative method of taking a pic that doesnt actually save on memory card like it does to me. Thanks for response. Im pretty clear either im doing something wrong, or the k20d just has an inferior live view to k7
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:46 PM   #23

I have a K7 and I'm not sure if the LV on the 20D is the same or not but it sure helps me with the macro (as does the RAF - I vary the way I shoot depending on the situation).

1. Focus on your subject (either MF or AF)
2. Switch on Live View
3. Make micro adjustments (by either rocking or making minute movements of the tripod / monopod or, if you have one, your focus rail).

Works for me.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:47 PM   #24
Banned

Am looking out for K7 on the web..!! Thanks for sharing..!! Good to notice ..!!

Jammy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy12 View Post
Am looking out for K7 on the web..!! Thanks for sharing..!! Good to notice ..!!

Welcome to the forum Jammy !

Can't go wrong with the K7 - great bang for your buck (as Americans would say)

Check back often - there are some great posters on here who I'm learning a lot from so hopefully they can help you too.

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:05 PM   #26

thanks for the advice, i guess I never thought to check if the LV actually adjusted to the camera's lens position. I only tried using to io adjust focus on the lens itself. This is starting to make more sense to me.. Hafto try it next time im macroin'
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:40 PM   #27

Different lenses for different purposes.

Vintage cars/trucks/motorcycles:

-Pentax 16-45 mostly @ 16 mm for complete vehicles
-Pentax 50 mm F 1.4 for low light...partial portraits of vehicles
-Pentax 10-17mm @ 17mm for partial close ups and full pix of vehicles

Wildlife:

-Pentax 55-300 MM

Flowers, Insects:

-Pentax F 3.5, 35-105 mm A Macro zoom
-Pentax 50 mm F 2.8 Macro

Portraits:

-Pentax 50 mm F 1.4
-Pentax 35-105 mm 'A' Macro zoom

Landscapes:

-Pentax 16-45 MM
-Pentax 10-17 mm Fish eye
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 2:52 PM   #28

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

I have way too many lenses, mostly cheap add-ons to my original (and still most-used) kit for my K20D:

* DA10-17, DA18-250, FA50/1.4.

Those are always in my bag, along with a Raynox DCR-250. Others that are in my bag a LOT include:

* Isco-Westron 35/2.8; Helios-44M 58/2; Nikkor 85/2; Tele-Takumar 200/5.6
* Industar 50/3.5 on macro tubes; Vivitar 90/2.8 macro; Sakar 500/8 mirror

As I said, I've many other lenses, but there are a few holes in my coverage. When I can afford them, I want:

* fast (f/2 or better) 24-28mm; rectilinear ultra-wide; something WR

There is no ideal kit, just various stuff depending on what I want to use and how much I want to carry. If I'm shooting film in my ZX-M, it has its own kit:

* Zenitar 16/2.8; Lentar (Tokina) 21/3.8; SMC-M 28/2.8 & 35/2.8; FA100-300

Do I want more lenses? Well, duh. I need to sell some of what I have, and/or get an inheritance; then I can acquire an ideal kit. Watch out!
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote