Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Snapping Turtles need some love too. . . (8 sm images)

Hi All,

Went to the Crab Tree Nature Center to see if I could find any Herons. While waiting, I heard a deep slurpy splash, so I looked over to see what caused it. I missed focus on the first few pretty badly, but managed to get something recognizable with some pretty extreme use of Focus Magic. Pretty interesting. . . These guys are very large -- with shells approaching 2 ft long. Shot from over 100 ft away, handheld with the K-7, FA*300/4.5 + F 1.7x AFA (510mm). The actual time from the first shot to the last was about 10 minutes, so this unfolded quite slowly -- I was really wishing that I'd brought the tripod. . .

The male approaches. You can see the top of the female's shell to the right.

In a flash (these are turtles, after all) he goes for it!

Looks like he's got a good hold. . . can Snappers smile?

His weight forced her underwater, and all I could see was the top of his shell for a couple of minutes -- then, caked with mud, she was able to come up for a breath of air. You can see her head to the lower left, with the male's head up a bit and to the right. If you compare this shot with the previous one, you'll notice a small island has surfaced behind the 1st pair -- this was another big snapper that had grabbed another female and submerged her.

He's bearing down to force her underwater again, while she tries to get a few more gulps of air.

He's looking pretty smug as she slowly sinks again.

I stopped to take a few shots of a Great Egret who flew in to see what all the splashing was about, and when I looked back at the turtles, the female had moved them about 10 feet over towards a very small island area.

A few seconds later, they were behind the little island -- I guess Snappers like a little privacy too!

Thought some might find this interesting. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2010, 1:06 PM   #2

Great shots of mating Snapping Turtles. You missed the one of them having a cigarette after all that effort.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:57 PM   #3

Ha! that's what you call rough sex!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Great shots of mating Snapping Turtles. You missed the one of them having a cigarette after all that effort.
Hi Les,

Thanks!

I doubt that at over $7 per pack, these guys could afford a smoke! After the effort expended here, I imagine the male just keeled over and took a long nap. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Ha! that's what you call rough sex!
Hi GW,

Naw. . . The Egret told me that it heard the male rationalizing to the female -- telling her that this was special mud, and the facial alone would take quite a few years off. . . he was actually doing her a favor. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote