Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1

Default Great Egret wingspread shots . . . (2 images)

Hi All,

In the Snapping Turtle series, I mentioned that an Egret had flown in to check out the ruckus. When I turned the camera on it, I had forgotten about how difficult it was to get good exposures of a white bird in bright sunlight -- I have to retrain myself every spring. . . the shots were way overexposed.

By the time I remembered to dial in some - Ev comp, the Egret had decided that 2+ foot long Snappers weren't going to be a viable meal, so it took off for the far side of the lake, but I managed to get a couple of interesting shots that were properly exposed against the very dark background of leaves.

Taken with the K-7. FA* 300/4.5 + P F 1.7x AFA, lens wide open, 1/750, ISO 200, -1.5 stop Ev comp.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2

Oh Yeah! Those are spectacular!

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3

Scott, they are not only shots of a great Egret but, great shots of an Egret!
You done good son.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:23 PM   #4

Wow! Spectacular detail in the wings, I love these two. Just outstanding as pictures, but especially when you see that the lens was wide open AND you were using a TC.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Oh Yeah! Those are spectacular!
Hi Jim,

Thanks!

These turned out to be considerably better than I had anticipated, even though they really looked good on the camera's LCD -- I really thought that they would be overexposed because I dialed in the -Ev comp by feel and guestimate on the fly, and I had to react quickly -- luck definitely had a lot to do with both exposure and timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Scott, they are not only shots of a great Egret but, great shots of an Egret!
You done good son.
Hi GW,

Thanks!

I always like it when Lady Luck lends a helping hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Wow! Spectacular detail in the wings, I love these two. Just outstanding as pictures, but especially when you see that the lens was wide open AND you were using a TC.
Hi Harriet,

I was a bit stunned when I was first able to see them on the monitor -- the degree of symmetry on the feathers of each wing on both shots is unusual. I wasn't that surprised that the K-7 and the AFA pretty much nailed the focus, even though the Egret was flying away from me. At this distance, I can just rack the focus ring out to infinity and let the AFA do the real work.

The FA*300/AFA combo has proven itself over the years to be reliable delivering good results wide open, so I didn't have any qualms about spinning the rear e-dial all the way to the left to get max aperture (and shutter speed). I was very glad to have the two programmable e-dials on the K-7 so I could manage both Ev comp and aperture control simultaneously (I have the front wheel set to Ev comp and the rear to Av control in Av priority).

I'm shooting the K-7 (and the K20) in AF-C the majority of the time now, and liking the results -- it takes some getting used to -- trusting the AF system to be at least close enough while micro-adjusting, but my frustration level has gone down compared to using AF-S and not being able to time shots because the AF system wasn't satisfied with the focus and wouldn't allow the shutter to fire -- and I'm not really noticing a significant decrease in percentage of critically focused shots. . .

Scott
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:39 PM   #6

Really nice detail....particularly on the second one. I always shoot anything that moves in AF-C. The K-7 is a great advance over the 10 & 20, but I'd still like to see it lock faster.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Really nice detail....particularly on the second one. I always shoot anything that moves in AF-C. The K-7 is a great advance over the 10 & 20, but I'd still like to see it lock faster.
Hi Paul,

Thanks!

I think the angle to the bird pretty much made the difference, and I didn't have any control over that in this situation. . .

I've been using AF-C as my default all spring, even for macros -- and only switch to AF-S when shooting at pretty long distances at a relatively stationary subject.

Faster would always be good, but I'm pretty satisfied with the K-7's performance in this regard, but then again, I kinda cheat by using the AFA most of the time.

Scott
Old Apr 24, 2010, 6:42 PM   #8

Very nice, those white birds are a bear to expose correctly

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:49 PM   #9

Wonderful! I never realizedthey had so many layers of feathers.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:21 PM   #10

WOW! It's been said, but stunning detail. The feathers look like a flowing dress. So much depth there.
placematters is offline   Reply With Quote