Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:33 PM   #1

Default Various flavors of macro

Since others have been playing around with macro, I thought I would do some more - it's been a long while since I shot anything other than some close-up flowers. It wasn't entirely successful when it came to the reversed 50 - I've done better with it when shooting more or less flat things indoors. This time I was outdoors, with the sun playing a bit hide-and-seek with some wispy clouds just enough to change the lighting a fair amount.

First, the subject. I'm sure everyone will recognize a very ordinary dandelion flower. (K7, Viv S1 105mm macro, probably about 1:3 or so, additional light from a 12" reflector).

Now at 1:1 with the Viv. Notice how small the dof is - this was taken at f18. Luckily macro lenses are usually still sharp at this small of an aperture.

I had good luck adding my home-made extension tube. If you look at the exif information, you'll notice that the aperture has gone away - while the Viv 105 is an "A" lens, the extension tube isn't - it doesn't have contacts so my A lens becomes an M or K lens and I have to set the aperture on the lens. That also means that pttl doesn't work, I have to use the settings on the flash itself to control the exposure. I sometimes find that almost easier when shooting macro. It also means that the flash can't be used wirelessly with the on-board flash as the controller, so it's mounted on the hot shoe. I was shooting while sitting on a cement electrical vault and I couldn't maneuver my tripod close enough (and didn't have the tabletop with me) so I was hand-holding all pictures.

Before I put on the extension tube, I reversed the 50 in front of the viv. I'm way out of practice when it comes to hand-holding macro as I've done better in the past. This was about the only one that worked even slightly. And you can see that the dof is even smaller - really too small for anything with much depth. It works much better indoors and with flat things, like coins. I think I took this one at f22 or so.

I'm going to have to work on this more - macro always takes practice. And that's some significant magnification.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:54 PM   #2

They look fine to me, a million miles better than my Dandelion pictures I took the other week with the extension tube and the 50mm Pentax K.

I fear I may have missed my window of opportunity now though, my Tamron 90mm has been shipped, and now the skies have opened, so by the time it arrives from H.K. the British "summer" will have ended LOL
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:10 PM   #3

Harriet, the detail in these is fine, but IMMO the yellow in 1 & 2 is a bit too intense and could be toned down a little, while in #3 is too muted and could be boosted a bit. Nice work in any case.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:28 PM   #4

You picked a difficult color to work with Harriet.
You did better than I could with hand holding. these would be a good subject for multi shots and stacking. I did some playing around with some different combination today but, nothing t get excited about. I've got lots of practicing to do too.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:55 PM   #5

The reflector did increase the intensity of the yellow in 1 and 2 - by the third one the sun had gone behind a cloud and the reflector wasn't much use, the reason why #3 is more muted.

GW - I did take a bunch for stacking, but between the soft breeze and my own swaying, i didn't get things lined up right. One came out so-so, but to do that properly you need to use a tripod and a wind-shade.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:08 AM   #6

I really like the sideways orientation shot of the dandelion ! Because of the orientation far more of the flower is in focus and it looks great.

Happy to see the bug has bitten you too
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:34 AM   #7

These are lovely shots. Wow normally I see you on 10-12 pm. Now I see you on at 4 AM? Do you ever get to rest Harriet?
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:02 PM   #8

Interesting - There's time differences which would explain why you see me on at 10-12 pm (it's probably 7-9 or 10 my time) and I'm not sure how I could be on when it's 4 am your time (by the way, what is your time-zone?).
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:28 PM   #9

Eastern time. sorry, my computer clock must have been showing the wrong time.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:34 PM   #10

Well, now I have to ask - what were YOU doing up at 4 am? 4 am your time would be 1 am my time and I'd be cutting the zzz's big-time. Now its not unheard of to see me around at 4 am my time...