Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1

Default Pentax K20d compat. flashes

Ive read mixed things around the net about flash compatibility with the newer DSLR's and power ratings. To avoid any risk of damaging my k20d, I thought id consult some of you. Im gathering information regarding hotshoe mount flashes on my K20 that would be pretty versatile. Something that has an adjustable flash on axis and can be setup with the flash menu on the k20

most retailers have these flashes listed at 200.00. So are there any decent flashes that can be had for less used? I have only ever used a external flash on my canon film SLR prior to getting the k20d and it came with the camera(detachable) so I'm completely ignorant on this and any info is highly valued.

thanks much

P.S.
BTW, i must say the onboard flash is not bad but I've been rigging up ways to bounce the flash and diffuse it. So this is my main reasoningfor a hotshoe, something that can bounce and be diffused easier with various caps and nothing I have to remove or untape when i put away like what I use currently.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:29 PM   #2

Here's a good place to start your research....

http://pttl.mattdm.org/

Excellent writeup on different brand compatible flashes.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
Here's a good place to start your research....

http://pttl.mattdm.org/

Excellent writeup on different brand compatible flashes.
Hi NMR,

RTF's link is the single best source for information on P-TTL Flashes for Pentax DSLRs.

I'd suggest that you read it, and then if you have questions ask back here. There are members that have used many of the models that Matt discusses, and can give you some feedback. A lot of the features are pretty ambiguous, and there's a lot of misunderstanding about how these flashes work, so don't worry if you get confused by some of these.

Personally, I have two of the Pentax models, the AF 360 FGZ and AF 540 FGZ, and have used each quite a bit. There's a learning curve to getting the most out of P-TTL and a bit of controversy about how well it works. I like having the advanced features available, even though I've only had relatively few circumstances where I wanted to use them. I also have some older pre-P-TTL Pentax flashes that I've used in less automated modes.

If you want to spend as little as possible, get quality, have something that's relatively easy to use, and don't have need for advanced features, there are alternatives to P-TTL, so there are other options not covered by Matt's site.

Again, do some research and feel free to ask any questions you might have. . . it can get pretty confusing, and flash mfgs are pretty infamous for making explanations rather ambiguous.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:33 AM   #4

Good link!

My aged Soligor 30DA flash doesn't work on the K-7 so been looking around for a budget flash for a while (once I pay off the K-7 and the Tamron lens...)
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:47 AM   #5

That's a good link, Scott.
at one time I had a link to a web site that listed all the trigger voltages for ton of older flash guns but, I lost it. Anybody know what it is?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:03 AM   #6

I think it was stickied in the general flash forum a long while back, but should be findable with a quick forum search.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:09 PM   #7

yes it is an excellent link. Thanks again for the information. Seems like the 350 fgz is a good flash to check out. I may stick it out and save money to wait on the 540 fgz because of the advanced swivelling features ( i do use portrait aspect shots quite a bit)

thanks again!

Last edited by NMRecording; Apr 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
Ive read mixed things around the net about flash compatibility with the newer DSLR's and power ratings. To avoid any risk of damaging my k20d, I thought id consult some of you. Im gathering information regarding hotshoe mount flashes on my K20 that would be pretty versatile. Something that has an adjustable flash on axis and can be setup with the flash menu on the k20

most retailers have these flashes listed at 200.00. So are there any decent flashes that can be had for less used? I have only ever used a external flash on my canon film SLR prior to getting the k20d and it came with the camera(detachable) so I'm completely ignorant on this and any info is highly valued.

thanks much

P.S.
BTW, i must say the onboard flash is not bad but I've been rigging up ways to bounce the flash and diffuse it. So this is my main reasoningfor a hotshoe, something that can bounce and be diffused easier with various caps and nothing I have to remove or untape when i put away like what I use currently.
Check out the Metz 48 AF-1. Takes a little getting used to-but gives great results.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
That's a good link, Scott.
at one time I had a link to a web site that listed all the trigger voltages for ton of older flash guns but, I lost it. Anybody know what it is?
Hi GW,

It was Rufus' link. But I'll take credit. . .

Here's the link for trigger voltages.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Keep in mind that these are user contributions, and are not necessarily correct.

It's always a good idea to test the flash that you have -- very good digital multimeters (AKA Volt Ohm Meter or VOM) can be gotten from your local Radio Shack or hardware store, and they're cheap insurance compared to the cost of your DSLR body (that was damaged by user error which would not be covered under warranty). VOMs that will do the job are available online from under $10 to as much as you care to spend, but a cheap one is probably good enough for this, and they're also handy to check battery charge and other things around the house. Just make sure that they will read DC voltage from 0 to about 30 volts.

Over the years, different Pentax company sources that I've heard of from different Pentax offices have suggested safe voltages from 6-24 volts -- I don't think that there is a real official figure, and I consider under 7V completely safe, and up to 24V probably safe, but I will absolutely not guarantee or endorse those figures for others.

Just trying the flash for a couple of exposures without testing it is not a good practice. Some cameras can take quite a few flashes at high trigger voltages before they fry -- there are testimonials to this all over the net.

Scott
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
yes it is an excellent link. Thanks again for the information. Seems like the 350 fgz is a good flash to check out. I may stick it out and save money to wait on the 540 fgz because of the advanced swivelling features ( i do use portrait aspect shots quite a bit)
I'm sure that there will be some that disagree, but the AF 360FGZ is a good flash with almost all of the advanced features of the top end units. The swivel head is not as necessary as many users seem to feel. Most of the K-series (I think only the K100s and the K110 don't) bodies will allow the popup flash to act as either the master or controller for a remote wireless TTL flash, the high resolution sensors allow you to shoot people in landscape orientation and crop to vertical with good enough resolution for excellent 8x10s and a bit larger. . . and most people over 12 seem to complain about too much fault-showing resolution and sharpness anyway. . .

If you want some of the really advanced features like the ability to use an external battery pack, swivel head, and more power, then the 540's hard to beat, but most don't really need these, IMO. In fact, I wish that Pentax would dump the 200 FG and come out with a small, light, pocketable P-TTL only unit with just a tilt head. The ability to act as a TTL wireless master/controller or slave and an AF assist beam would be very nice, but not absolutely necessary -- It would only have to be a bit more powerful than the popup, let's say GN 16-20 (m, ISO 100) -- I'd buy one in a second if it was under $150. . . and I'd think that there would be a whole lot of others that would also.

Scott