Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:49 PM   #11

I'm sorry FF, I thought I posted my set up already. I was doing 3 things at once and when I was finished I must of forgotten to hit the post key.
Anyway this is what I set out to post earlier.

I tried so many variations that I'm not positive (should have taken notes) but I think my set up for these shots consisted of the Tamron SP90 + 2X Vivitar TC, on board 540 flash plus a 60 watt flood light clamp on type clamped to the back of the dinning room chair and of course the macro rails. Camera set up was, K20D, manual mode, ISO 100, shutter 1/125 and spot metering. For holding the critter, I have metal base with an articulating arm with an alligator clip attached that gives me a lot of ways to hold and position my volunteers.

I hope that helps.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:36 PM   #12

Hi GW,

#2 looks best on my monitor. Any brighter and the highlights get too distracting, IMO. The "fur" on the "throat" gets enough of a lift to come out. I think that this would be better for printing too -- the detail in the shadows would probably get lost in #1.

Very nice work, BTW!

I'm starting to get to appreciate bug faces a bit more -- still ugly, but I'm not quite so creeped out when I look at them. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:29 AM   #13

Same here with regards to number 2 looking the best!

My Tamron should be here this week hopefully, all these great photo's are really burning me up inside, I want to go out and shoot bugs!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:11 AM   #14

One of these should work for now Tachi until your new T90 arrives !
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:16 AM   #15

Thanks GW - I can see a lot of work went into that set-up. Which showed in the results.

I tried the Vebron rails yesterday and although a lack of wildlife hindered the testing process, followed by someone stealing the yellow thing from the sky, and then being attacked by my dog when she returned from her shower and clipping session at her local beauty parlour, they seemed to work great and I can see them being a great help !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:29 AM   #16

Thank you Scott & Tachi,
I'm learning several things the last few days. One is that my monitors show a different gamut of colors, and what I see when I'm doing PP in Photoshop, I can see a lot more detail and subtle changes, than I can when I open the same photos from a web site weather it be my hosting site or the forum. (that's why you guys think I'm nuts for postting 2 photos that look so close its hard to tell the difference)

So, that's good to know, now I just need to start doing some comparison print outs at work on the high resolution printer to see what shows in print.
Thanks to every one for helping me figure this all out!

Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
One of these should work for now Tachi until your new T90 arrives !
Now that's funny!
I had one of those, it worked great for about five minuets then went dead.

Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:14 AM   #18

That might work actually, I can swat any interesting bugs I see and stick them in the freezer until the lens arrives!

On topic though, uncalibrated monitors are a pain, a while back I had 2 identical monitors (dual monitor setup) and there was a marked difference in colour output, even with them set to the same settings.

Really fancying some macro rails now... not paid off the K-7 and the Tamron yet either... might have a crack at the "DIY Macro Rail" guide I posted the other week.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote