Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:34 AM   #1

Default Same bug... different Macro.

Over the past few days, I've been fumbling around with different macro lenses, tubes and 2X TC's, just to see what I could come up with. Here is one of the best from yesterday's shoot.

I'm posting two shots, in one I used a touch of "highlights and shadows" that made it appear much better on one of my monitors but, not so good on the other. one monitor is the 46" HDTV the other is and older 19" CRT from Compaq. What I would appreciate is, knowing which photo looks better on your monitor, first or second? Knowing that would help me in PP to edit for what looks best to you guys.
Thanks,
Hope you enjoy these.

first one

second one

Really wish you could see this at full 100% resolution, you can see the honeycomb screen on the eyes!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Apr 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2

There's not much difference, but #2 looks a tad better on my screen. A wee bit lighter and more detail. But I had to look several times to convince myself that there really is a difference.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:07 PM   #3

Same here, couldn't really see much difference, only the higher contrast areas show any difference. I also prefer #2 for the detail, but #1 has more punch with the colours.

Don't be shy with the 100% crop fella, no reason not to include it!

What was the setup for this shoot?
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4

First looks slightly darker on my monitor, detail looks about the same.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5

Quite a difference on my Mac as far as detail is concerned. Prefer the contrast of the first but the detail of the second.

BTW - excellent detail, what was your set-up ?
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:29 PM   #6

Thanks guys,
Funny, I don't see as much difference after posting as I do when I look at my own files. I'm going to try something else.

Tachi, I'm not sure how to post an Image to the forum that will show up as a 100% crop. Meaning, you would see it the same as I do, when I open the original image in Photoshop and click to show the actual pixels.

OK, here is one with heaver PP. I brought the shadows/highlights up a bit more, darkened the black in curves, brightened the whole thing brightness and added a touch of noise reduction. I know the highlights are starting to blow out (yes, on the original too but, less so)and starting to loose some detail.

And this is unedited except for sizing and a touch of unsharp mask.

Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:46 PM   #7

Wow amazing pictures... I would love to have the tools and skills to make such a photo, not to mention a posing bug

I like the first one better with respect to colors.. but the second has a bit more detail (like the rest said also) but just for the eye I would go for picture one.
fyi i'm viewing on 22 inch samsung lcd.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:47 PM   #8

I'm going to try and post 4 pix small enough to see all at once, so you can better pick the one that looks best as far as color and contrast are concerned. I know the detail will be lacking...

Hmmm... when I view these on my LCD, I see some subtle changes between them. However, when I view them on the CRT the changes are much more dramatic. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think.

Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC de Jonge View Post
Wow amazing pictures... I would love to have the tools and skills to make such a photo, not to mention a posing bug

I like the first one better with respect to colors.. but the second has a bit more detail (like the rest said also) but just for the eye I would go for picture one.
fyi i'm viewing on 22 inch samsung lcd.

Thank you very much JC,
I'm sure you could handle it just fine. As far as tools... a good macro lens, a sturdy tripod and good lighting is all you need. A set of macro rails helps but, not a necessity. As for posing, he didn't have much choice. He was pretty much "stuck" in place.

Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:16 PM   #10

GW - I like #2 best for contrast (from the 4 shots you selected for contrast).

For 100% crops : choose 1:1 in PS / Elements or whatever is easiest then just crop that whole visible area (after moving it around to the desired position) and you have saved a 100% crop of the original.

Was this lens alone or did you use a x2 or your extension tubes with it ?
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote