Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1

Default HElp! Bower M42 adapter Stuck

I got the Bower M42 adapter for my pentax k20d and it was working great until i tried to take it off. It came with a little 'tool' and no instructions. I believe im using the tool correctly yo attempt to get the adapter off but its not. I can slide it left and right and one side looks like I can pry it up a bit (accidentalyl found this out) but its obviously supposed to turn more so both sides can be loose. It looks like the flange is stuck inside somewhere.

I heard these were compatible? This adapter seems to be stripping with all my m42 mounts and the shavings are falling on my sensor, no matter how gently i try

so its dirtying up my insides of my k20 and i cant get the damn thing off.

can someone help me out?

also, please tell me theres a non aluminum adapter. This supposively lets me focus to infinity but the quality is so cheap im afraid im gonna just keep stripping my lens threads.

Last edited by NMRecording; Apr 30, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:17 AM   #2

you may find that you are not depressing the little spring catch on the adapter with the tool
its happened to me a number of times
keep trying
it will come off, try facing the camera down too
in the end i removed the spring and put a nick into the back end of the lens so the pin from the camera body locked into it (it doesnt feel safe though)
mine is steel but i have no idea what brand, it has no name on it, it cost me $28AU
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:55 PM   #3

gee whiz, sounds like a serious problem! could really mess up the innards. Hopefully Gumnut's suggestion will work for you. I think I'd chuck that adapter too.
I hope everything works out for you.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:38 PM   #4

thanks gumnut, you are correct. I was pressing the spring in but it was still catching the sides. I can get everything on and off now but the adapter is still quirky and spins loosely for all my lenses so it never actually locks down tight. I think its because of the threads on it. So basically everytime you think its tight, you realize its not and will easily fall off. Another small turn causes more shavings to fall on the inside.

Theres 4 huge black dots now when i look in my viewfinder, but its weird how they arent showing up in the pics (that I can see.) I tried dust removal and double checked the viewfinder itself and cant seem to even find the dust to get rid of it. I think i need to remove the sensor and give it a thorough clean. I think ill look around for a brass m42 adapter like you have or a steel one and try to find a pro camera shop that can clean the sensor for me. (i feel a little nervous doing these things.)

Thanks for the comments guys, I am atleast glad that It finally came off.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:14 PM   #5

If your seeing black dots when you look through the viewfinder then the particles are probably sitting either on the mirror or on the focusing screen just above the mirror. This would explain why you don't see them in the pictures.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:56 PM   #6

Yes, Mike is correct. if you hold the camera with the lens mount pointing down, and give it a couple blast with a rocket blower you should be able to get rid of them OK.
Glad to hear you got the adapter off.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:09 PM   #7

next time you need an adapter get one that's labeled just Pentax or Asahi Pen tax. they're made by pentax.. I've never had a problem with the bowers. they do seem a little sticky for awhile. the pentax adapters do not have a tool for removal.
i have that 90% of dust is small flakes of brass for changing lenses
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 1:07 PM   #8

I had the springs and small screws that hold the springs to come off and fall into the camera. Very difficult to get them out without damaging the sensor but mission accomplished. for a long time I removed the springs and mounted my adapters with loctite directly to the lens. This works well as long as the lens doesn't fall out as they no longer can be locked into place with the springs removed. I buy the Kenko or General brand ones from B&H Photo and they come with a tool, are chrome plated brass and work very well. Be careful removing the adapters and they will work just fine.
Old May 2, 2010, 1:44 AM   #9

I use Kipon - seem very well made and no shavings. Locks down tight, no movement at all and comes with a little tool to remove it. If you buy Kipon make sure you are getting an original as I've noticed a lot of cheaper knock-offs in the market.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 2:07 AM   #10

If the Bower is like the Pentax, forget the tool. The original Pentax adapters did not come with a tool, although I have heard that later ones did. The instructions that came with mine said to use a fingernail to depress the spring - using your thumbnail allows you to grip the inside of the threads with your fingers and twist it off with one motion. It has never failed. However, if the Bower causes metal shards to fall into the body, I would not use it again - that is potentially dangerous for the camera and should never happen if the adapter were machined to the proper tolerances.

Like Mike, I would expect the spots to be in the light path of the viewfinder - on the mirror or the screen below the prism, since the mirror is covering the sensor when no lens is mounted, and should be able to be blown off by a stream of air. Be sure never to use canned compressed air on the inside of the camera when doing so, though - it can deposit moisture where you don't want it to (and don't blow with your mouth for the same reason). Use a rubber squeeze bulb as a blower - obtainable from any photo accessory supplier. Failing that, an acceptable alternative (if you disregard the name) may be a fist-sized enema bulb from your neighborhood drugstore (providing that it has a narrow enough tube to give you a forceful enough stream of air)!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote