Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 1, 2010, 3:51 AM   #11

After having lived in Africa for 5 years I can say that you will need to protect your lenses from sand (actually a very very fine dust) that surfaces at certain times of the year (especially when the Hammatan (sp.) appears). So skylight filters could come in handy.

Add in the extreme humidity in some countries and you might want to keep a plastic container with one of those cheap moisture absorbers handy for storage of camera & lenses when not in use. If you are going to one of those countries.

If you want more lenses without spending more money then you can always go for much older M42 lenses (buy a good adaptor, either Pentax or Kiron). But only if you are comfortable using your camera in Manual mode. You would get a bunch of great prime lenses to cover all FL from WA through telephoto for two or three hundred US$ or so.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 10:35 AM   #12

If you are quick there is a K7 going here for US$800 :

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...worldwide.html
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 12:57 PM   #13

I've owned a K10D and used a K20D and am now the proud owner of a K7. I made the choice of the K7 over a new K20D because of it's many advantages that are not on the K20D. Video is just one. The interface and larger screen are another couple of them...Get the K7 and don't look back...you'll not regret the choice.
Old May 1, 2010, 1:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
I've owned a K10D and used a K20D and am now the proud owner of a K7. I made the choice of the K7 over a new K20D because of it's many advantages that are not on the K20D. Video is just one. The interface and larger screen are another couple of them...Get the K7 and don't look back...you'll not regret the choice.

Oh, if it were only that easy to obtain and Pentax here in Finland. UGGG

Congrats on the new camera Ed! Hope you enjoy it! Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Oh, if it were only that easy to obtain and Pentax here in Finland. UGGG

Congrats on the new camera Ed! Hope you enjoy it! Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Ned
I'll post some Ned when I can get a day off to shoot!! LOL
Old May 2, 2010, 11:19 PM   #16

I can't thank you all enough for your input. I have learned a lot and feel much better about which camera to purchase. Thanks again.
doorholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 1:08 AM   #17

I too have both the K20 and K-7 and can use them more or less interchangeably - both are very good cameras, and I echo much of what has been said by the others who have both. I also have the 55-300 which I also can endorse. Where you are going, if faced with a choice, I would opt for whichever comes with the WR lens. The unsealed 55-300 is not so costly a lens that it cannot be considered expendable if conditions get rough and it sucks in dust in a sandstorm, so I would consider that combination the one to go with. All other things being equal, if the prices are so close, I would take the Amazon deal and go with the richer feature set offered by the K-7. Get them soon, so you have plenty of time to get familiarized with them and make sure all are functioning properly to your satisfaction before you leave. Good luck and good hunting!

Last edited by penolta; May 3, 2010 at 1:11 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote