Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:53 PM   #1

Default K7 stutter stopped firing.

The other day I was taking time exposures of the Tampa theater when all of a sudden the camera shutter refused to fire. Pressing the button all the way down only set the autofocus in motion. Waited a while, and then it started working again. Has anyone else had this happen? I was using live view a lot because the setting was very dark making focusing difficult. I'm wondering if the camera overheated and it was protecting itseff. Have had no further issue with it.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2010, 12:05 AM   #2

It very well could be - according to the manual it will do that. I hardly ever use live view so haven't run across it yet. As I recall there's supposed to be a symbol that shows up just before it shuts itself off. The only time I've had the camera not take a picture was when my battery was dead.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 12:36 AM   #3

Hi Tony,

I think that Harriet probably is right. I haven't experienced sensor overheating, but it's very possible with either Live View, HD video, or successive long exposures. It would manifest itself pretty much as you stated, and there is an indicator, but I've never seen it, so probably wouldn't recognize it if I saw it. . .

If you examine the exif with a detailed exif viewer like PhotoMe, I think that there's a field to read sensor temperature, but I'm not sure. . .

http://www.photome.de/

It's a good program to have, as it shows much more information than most photo browsers and editors -- and it's free. . .

Anyway, you can read the exif from the last shot before things locked up, and look for the sensor temp. If it's high, then you have your answer. There was a lot of discussion about this in other fora when the K-7 first came out, but I haven't seen anything about this for months. I guess some early adopters pushed LV and video to the sensors' limits just to see what they were, and now are satisfied to just take pics and videos with their cams.

Perhaps Jason (Illuminati) will stop in and comment -- he shoots a lot of videos, and might have some experiences and/or insights. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 2:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the link, snostorm! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 6:12 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I'm sure that's all it was.
Old May 2, 2010, 1:47 AM   #6

Happened to me yesterday Tony (I had Live View on constantly). Next time I'm sure you will notice there is a little red thermometer that appears on the left in the screen (in LV) to warn you. Just takes a few seconds after switching off LV to cool down.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 1:51 AM   #7
Super Moderator

the k7 is weather sealed. which tends to cause a camera to overheat quicker. i am sure that is the issue.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 7:20 AM   #8

Yes, I'm sure now that's what it was. I was using live view a lot because it was so dark I had trouble seeing focus through the view finder. I did leave live view on for long periods as I would step away from the camera to look at the site. Never thought about over heating at the time. Thank god it has that protection. Thanks again for all the insight. I do love this camera. Took another round of time exposures last night with no issues. Did not use live view much.
Old May 2, 2010, 8:25 AM   #9

All this is good to know... Now, if only my K7 would hurry up and arrive.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote