Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 4, 2010, 11:17 AM   #21

Penolta : Thanks ! And of course you are right I hadn't noticed that. Interesting.

Gumnut : a war of attrition ! I think it took about 60 seconds to get off 15 shots all with focus moved back a fraction each time. It did move though so only a few were usable. Sorry I can't help with tips on CombineZ but if you Google it there are lots of people using it and endorsing it. Hope it works out - I suppose I could download it and try it myself on my wife's desktop (running W7) whilst my Mac is out of commission.

Mole : Thank you ! Roy's is truly excellent although for a first attempt (at both shooting jumping spiders and stacking with ZS) I was pleased with my effort ! No i didn't get AppleCare (it's such a rip off and just a cute way of selling insurance) but I do have lots of warranty remaining (I bought it new just 3 months ago !) there shouldn't be any issue getting it fixed - problem is though it may be difficult for them to re-install an English version OSX as there is no Apple store here yet - opens later this year - and so I will have to take it to Best Buy after the May holiday ends tomorrow. I'll ship the old HD to IOmega in the USA though as they reckon they can recover everything.
Darwine sounds interesting (I will certainly check it out) .. currently I bought and use Crossover and prefer it to VMware or Parallels.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:22 PM   #22

Humpf. So they are replacing the HD under warranty but after an hour long 'debate' with customer service (in Singapore not China) they will still not agree to return the dead HD to me to try to recover my data. I said I could return it to them later after retrieving my info but they said once anyone has opened the HD (necessary for retrieval) then Apple won't take back the dead HD .... unless I buy it back from them at the cost of new HD, US$375 !!

The Apple guy in the service centre whispered that I was better off going into the computer mall next door and buying my own HD, then I could easily get the data off of my dead HD. I checked it out, US$130 for a Seagate 500GB spinning at 7,200 revs instead of the Apple one (320GB @ 5,400). But I would need to reinstall OSX myself. Decisions, decisions.
Old May 5, 2010, 1:56 PM   #23

Apple care? what a joke.

Apples the only company out there that charges for a warranty (thats what apple care is, a warranty. not insurance, but built in tech support for when you are having problems. ) Every other company on face of this earth offers free warranty and free tech support for their products.

If you MUST get an apple, skip the apple care and get a 3rd party insurance company that way if you drop it, it actually gets replaced. Apple care covers things like yellow screens and other problems MAcs are prone to getting through lack of quality control.

The 3rd party insurance companies out there will replace the unit if it has manufactures defects and also physical damage as well, AND its cheaper!

Macs are great if you like monopolies and lack of options for software/hardware.

The best computer you can get is one you build yourself. I built a duo core Intel for 350.00 and heres the stats

2800 processor (X2 because of the duo core)
4 gigs ram
500 gig hard drive X2
nvidia 8 series gfx card

dont throw 2 grand into a mac when you can get a pc that spanks the pants off it for 1/8th the price

I use this to cut video and sound for commercial use and feature films and it handles like a dream

Ill stop my rant about apple when the company burns to the ground
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 2:12 PM   #24

Ha ha ! Agree about Applecare and overpriced products, but sorry Windows is a nightmare, many software products in the the market seem to have issues and crash often (at least it seems all those I use do !), whereas after switching to a Mac 4 months ago (after being with PCs since the days of the Amstrad and 5.25" floppies !) I would never switch back ... it is just a dream to work with (and I have found either most companies offer Win or Mac versions of their software or there are alternative great software products out there that just work beautifully within OSX.

However, as there are proponents with strong opinions on each side of the court on this issue we had better let this one slide rather than boring the forum to death with a PC vs. Mac debate
Old May 5, 2010, 2:33 PM   #25

While I somewhat agree with you, with the right customization and build of your XP system, it can be rock steady.

My pc is internet disabled and has just the barebone services running at all times (about 7 processes when your normal computer has upwards of 70)

It is quite amazing how customizable windows is if you know where to look and how to tweak it.

From off to a completely ready to go state, my pc takes approximately 4-6 seconds and Id dare someone to try to beat it

You also have to keep in mind often im recording up to 24 channels of 24 bit 96k wav files and Full resolution feature length HD video at the same time. We're talking gigs by the minute, the tiniest hiccup COULD destroy the recording, but it never happens. a mac just can not touch this

Pretty much you want no caching and no additional services feeding off the processor. Off the bat theres 50 or so odd things you need to get rid of, The more you have cached and the more multi tasking you have your processor performing, the more mistakes its going to make. The duo core opens up a new world of opportunities

but alas, Ill try to let this argument die cuz I could go on til my own death

Last edited by NMRecording; May 5, 2010 at 2:36 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote