Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 1, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1

Default Civil War trail in West Virginia + an extra

Cant name a specific location for this one, found it while driving off side of road. Luckily I was packed with gear and just waiting to drive by a place to park and hike such as this, and very close to home.

These are all with my new carl zeiss 200mm 2.8 except for the b&w, which is with the Tamron 135mm macro. Ive got lots more great photos I have yet to sift through including this rustic bridge that ran above the falls and place I was shooting. Theres some real cool graffiti on the bridge to contrast the antique architecture so Ill have to post up later. But for now, enjoy these. Critique wanted!!

I meant to make this B&W shot my updated 'motion' shot for the april monthly challenge, but I pp and posted a day too late.

The wind was blowing pretty bad here and I have some shots of everything in perfect focus, but alas another motion shot that I liked. It was interesting in this one how the targeted 'wheat looking plant' was moving somehow less in this shot than the rest of them, which is why it was my favorite. but some of you may not like because of the motion blur

i believe a carolina chickadee

no, he didnt push off the tree but this lil guy was zoomin all around me putting on a real show. I think he liked being photographed. I got about 30 shots of this guy in many places, hes very quick and i tried my best.

sorry for the noise, i didnt really look at them when i resized them and rendered as jpegs or I could have cleaned this one up more

weve all heard of ground hogs, ever heard of a tree hog? I was capturing birds when this sucker stated shooting up a tree! I think he was jealous all the attention the birds were getting so wanted to try it for himself ;-)

the falls. I didnt bring a wide enough lens (135) to get a nice shot of these so I had to be creative. This is about the only spot I could really fit most of it in and decided to frame it with natural elements

sorry about the noise in some of these shots, they didnt convert well to jpegs :-(

ok and i snuck this one in as well.. THis is actually during the cherry tree blossom festival. This isnt an 'HDR' just a normal shot with a bit of PP done to enhance the detail but I liked it and dont think I posted yet.

thanks again for lookin and the critique

Last edited by NMRecording; May 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2010, 5:09 AM   #2

Good work, nr7 really jumps out and is imho super!!!!, have tried to get a shot like that and never have come even close.

Great work

Ronny
Old May 2, 2010, 9:43 AM   #3

Good series! I agree #7 is a great shot and the tree hog is a hoot! the last one is a cool shot.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 1:57 PM   #4

I LOVE that last shot - reminds me a little of a Sigma 10-20 type shot in a thread I've been following on that lense.

Also the grass shot really works - the blur makes that shot. I really like it.

The Chicadee (?) in flight is ace - maybe I would crop it a little as the sharpness of the branch on the right is a little distracting. Maybe like a 10x8 from the top left and try to sharpen up the bird with whatever software you use ? Just an idea
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 4:56 PM   #5

Great catch with the bird about to take off.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:10 PM   #6

Hey thanks a lot for the C&C guys.

shoturtle, he actually was already in flight when I took this shot. I had been following him for about 20 minutes since he was literally flying all around me. I saw him fly in from my left and just happened to time the shutter at the right time. I actually would have preferred a little later to not confuse the BIF with a take off, but either way best BIF i think ive taken yet.

Frogfish thanks for comments, Ive been looking a lot at the sigma 10-20 but also the pentax 12-24 and tokina 11-16 (ugh so many choices) This was with the pentax 18-55 at 18. It actually is surprisngly sharp for a kit lens (imo) Yeah these shots definitely need sharpening after resize. The grass shot especially came out bad in jpeg. Good eye on the crop, the tree does seem to distract upon second look

Goldwinger thanks for the comments, I couldnt believe my eyes when i first saw him climbing :-)

Ronny, thanks for the feedback. For me, it helps that I switched to using primes instead of zooms. I may have to take the time to focus but atleast im not restricted to sub par shutter speeds. My shots with the 70-300 sigma always came out blurred when trying this as well. Although a large part of this was just finding the right bird! I sat in this spot for an hour and a half before I got anything usable, then they all came at once

Last edited by NMRecording; May 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:48 PM   #7

That bif is outstanding - I really love that shot. The last one also, a nice architecture shot. Looks like you are having great fun with the Zeiss.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 7:52 AM   #8

Some really fine shots, and such a range of subjects. Must agree with the rest - that Carolina Chickadee in flight is wonderfully sharp & clear!

Remember that Groundhogs are close kin to squirrels. I have chased several up trees before - once up a little sapling that almost bent over with the weight of the 'hog!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:14 AM   #9

thanks for the wonderful comments guys, did not know that about groundhogs but it makes perfect sense with such physical similarities. I hope i can get more like the chickadee, thats probably one of the best bird shots Ive ever taken
Old May 4, 2010, 1:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Some really fine shots, and such a range of subjects. Must agree with the rest - that Carolina Chickadee in flight is wonderfully sharp & clear!

Remember that Groundhogs are close kin to squirrels. I have chased several up trees before - once up a little sapling that almost bent over with the weight of the 'hog!

.... and just what, pray, where you doing chasing poor groundhogs ?!
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote