Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2010, 9:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
You presume correctly about fast glass and high ISO. After your question, I went back and reviewed my EXIF's to see what I actually used. I was a little surprised; most of the time with the Tamron 28-75, I was on the wide side with a very high percentage at 28mm, and the vast majority were between 28mm and 50mm. That lens was on the K20 on Wednesday night. On the K-7, with the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, most of the shots were in the 100-135mm range, but the 200mm was nice for zoomed-in closeups.

I don't think anyone would be surprised to note that my overall sharpest shots came with the FA 50mm (yes, 50mm, not 520, the second time I've done that). Were I to shoot the play again, though, I would probably go the way I did on the first night with the Tamron and the Sigma, then using the fisheye for some specialty shots.

If anyone is interested in seeing more of my 237 "keepers," can go to the website below:

http://www.loganactionphotos.com/Sch...52044722_JGzTN

Some of the shots are not really keepers, but I tried to get at least a couple of shots of each kid in the show. Sometimes that meant accepting a shot that wasn't really up to my standards.

Paul

You did a very fine job with the shots you posted. It is really a rough situation to shoot in. When I shoot in clubs or dance theather I use very fast glass. I tried to use 1.8 most of the time match to 1600 if I can get away with it, or 3200 at times I have seen 6400 on some of my shots. The pentax has very good wb. Did you tungsten or auto?
Old May 3, 2010, 9:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
You did a very fine job with the shots you posted. It is really a rough situation to shoot in. When I shoot in clubs or dance theather I use very fast glass. I tried to use 1.8 most of the time match to 1600 if I can get away with it, or 3200 at times I have seen 6400 on some of my shots. The pentax has very good wb. Did you tungsten or auto?
I used tungsten and corrected the worst anomalies in Lightroom before I went to CS4.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 6:50 AM   #13

Paul - Wonderful captures of the action, the expressions, the mood, and the enthusiastic students! Sorry to hear of the politics you have to deal with, but glad that you can still use your great photo talents (as well as teaching talents) for the students!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 9:38 AM   #14

These came out great and thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a lot of fun as well. Im glad you humbly did it for the kids, something the 'pro' would never consider. Obviously he has his business, but I dont see why he couldn't just look elsewhere for business. Early humans died when they couldn't compete, not filed complaints with the school board. I hate people like that!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:22 AM   #15

You did a great job Paul, and my hat is off to you for even doing any photo work involving the school but, I understand your love for the kids.
I wonder if that was the same photographer that wouldn't let me video tape a wedding one time. Said he owned the imaging rights regardless of the format and if the bride wanted to have a video made she'd have to clear it with him and there would be additional charges. All this was on the day of the wedding as I was setting up, not to mention I had just flown 1500 miles to get there. I get mad just thinking about it and that was a dozen years ago.
Sorry to go off on a tangent, it just makes me mad when people do things like that.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:38 PM   #16

Sorry to unload my frustrations on the forum.....for a year now, I have successfully kept from complaining about this situation. I can't help it that the "professional's" brick and mortar studio and three family members whose inflated salaries he's paying make it impossible for him to be competitive on prices. I really resent that the prices he's charging are plain and simply ripping off our kids, most of whom are from low income families and wind up not getting photos because they can't afford his prices, and of course, he only offers to photograph those events and packages that have high profit potential (prom, school pictures, graduation, football pics, etc.)....and never any event photos where you're putting your work out there and forcing people to decide if they really want your result, as opposed to ordering before seeing product.

I have found it interesting that there is a large, national company that has entered the Little Rock market, so I'm sure it's in other markets too, that offer print packages for about a third of what independent photographers do....and all in one hour or less. It's sad, in a way, but the day of the independent photographer, as a viable business, may be over. And, for at least one, I will shed no tears. Rather than an end of an era, I would say it is the end of an era of ripoffs.

Paul

Last edited by Trojansoc; May 4, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 12:10 PM   #17

Agree with you 100% on your viewpoint Paul. I always refused to buy the 'professional' school photos at about US$70 per pack (maybe 6 photos) here ! We took lots of photos of our daughter in other school activities, and with her friends when all in school uniform. IMO, and being distinctly immodest, these are far more natural (and better) than the school photos taken as if on a production line with no effort to get a great shot of each child.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 9:00 PM   #18

Oh Boy! We could really get something going if we aren't careful.
I for one, am really sympathetic to the small business man trying to make it in a dog eat dog world, using less than, shall we say stellar, business practices isn't the way to make a go of it. I recall a couple years ago when the powers to be at the hospital where I work allowed a "Glamor shots" type outfit to come and offer to take a series of glamor shots and offer one free shot of "your choice"! sounds like a deal right? Yeah right, no self respecting "professional" photographer would ever show a client a shot as bad as the ones they were willing to give you for free. of course they had some nice ones they would be happy to put together for a small price... if you call $135.00 for 6 photos small. even the ones that were purchased weren't what I'd want my name on! of course I couldn't offer our employees a better product because that would be a conflict of interest. I'm still trying to figure out who's interest would be in conflict?

Old May 5, 2010, 9:12 PM   #19

Just one photo I wanted to remark on Paul. #6, the girl in the green dress. I had to look twice, it appears she's smoking a joint! Am I the only degenerate person that had that flashing thought?I mean just for a moment