Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Default Watkins Glen State Park

This is kind of a repeat adventure for us. We hiked through last year almost at around the same time of year. This time I brought a tripod for the waterfall shots. Always an enjoyable hike.

The rest of my gallery is here: http://picasaweb.google.com/madmikes...sGlenMay12010#
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 12:17 PM   #2

Nice pictures... I'm guessing you've used a slow shutterspeed? I love the dreamy motion it creates in the water. Got to try that also sometimes
Old May 3, 2010, 1:05 PM   #3

Thank you, yes, I used 1/2 second shutter speed on the waterfall shots for the most part.
Old May 3, 2010, 5:42 PM   #4

Mike,
Very well done. What Mole is doing for tourism in eastern Tennessee, your are doing for upstate New York.

Thanks for posting.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 5:54 PM   #5

Jim, I appreciate that very much and it makes me happy to know that some of my photos of the region have inspired folks to get out and see this stuff. I've taken up a new hobby as well that coincides with my travelling about with the family, geocaching. So I hope to be able to present more of the beauty of this region as the summer goes on.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:42 PM   #6

I remember your last series, I thought the geology fascinating. I love your waterfalls this time, they are wonderful.

I tried geocaching but got frustrated if things didn't go all right. Maybe I should try it again, I have a different GPS unit now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 10:04 PM   #7

Thank you, this time I remembered to bring a tripod so I could use a slower shutter speed on the waterfalls. With all the lakes, sedimentary rock and appalachian hills around here we have a lot of nice small waterfalls dispersed around the region. I'm trying to take in as much of the region as I can. Some day I'll get back out west and see the rockies again maybe some of the national parks as well.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC de Jonge View Post
Nice pictures... I'm guessing you've used a slow shutterspeed? I love the dreamy motion it creates in the water. Got to try that also sometimes
Hi JC,

With you K-x, you have multi-exposure mode with automatic Ev compensation, so you can accomplish this "cotton candy water" effect without having to wait for cloudy days or using ND filters.

You can simulate long shutter speeds in this mode as long as the rest of the scene is pretty static. When you use it, it takes a correct exposure and multiplies the shutter speed by as much as 9x on a single frame. It's pretty cool. You do need a tripod though. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 4:32 AM   #9

Great series, and the water looks great

Ronny
Old May 4, 2010, 4:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi JC,

With you K-x, you have multi-exposure mode with automatic Ev compensation, so you can accomplish this "cotton candy water" effect without having to wait for cloudy days or using ND filters.

You can simulate long shutter speeds in this mode as long as the rest of the scene is pretty static. When you use it, it takes a correct exposure and multiplies the shutter speed by as much as 9x on a single frame. It's pretty cool. You do need a tripod though. . .

Scott
Scott,

thanks for the tip! I realize I still have so much to learn
I'm happy a bought I tripod.. first I tried auto bracketing.. which gives a nice hdr when combined... and now multi exposure... getting excited already