Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 5, 2010, 1:05 PM   #11

See if you can get one of those small rare earth (neodymium) magnets and glue it to a stick, should suck them out pretty easily.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 2:40 PM   #12

thanks tach, I was skeptical at first about sticking a magnet inside the camera body After seeing what magnets do to LCD panels and other devices. Im still skeptical actually
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 3:41 PM   #13

It should be ok, the stabilization in the camera is done via electromagnets, although obviously the magnetic field will be a lot lower.

I would risk it if the dirt was on the sensor, if it was just on the mirror, then probably not.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 6:09 PM   #14

The shavings could be below the focusing screen or on the focusing screen. Have you taken it out yet and tried to blow it off? Be careful, they scratch very easily. I'd do that and also blow air through the focusing prism itself, onto the inside of the viewfinder itself (I've had dust there before). It's not fatal if you scratch the screen - they can be replaced easily (unlike some of the other parts of the camera).

Good luck with it. Guess I'm glad that I haven't tried M42 lenses yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 6:16 PM   #15

the focusing screen? hmm i wish i didnt lose my manual ( i took it around with me everywhere first week i got camera to read in spare time and i left it somewhere)

oh well ill consult a pdf file online. thanks for the tips on the metal shavings. Unfortunately it doesnt do any good to clean as everytime i try to take the adapter off more metal shavings generate inside
Old May 5, 2010, 6:38 PM   #16

I had the same problem once with my m42 adapter, non-pentax, and it took me quite a while to figure it out.

This was quite a while ago, so please take it with a huge grain of salt. I first slightly tightened the mount, i.e. rotating it clockwise, and then using a very small optical flat screwdriver, pushed flimsy metal tab in. You could also push it down and out of the way completely, but I would suggest that you don't do that as your first option. Also, keep the key barely in the slot so that it just engages the adapter. Now as you push the tab in, try to cycle back and forth with the key and suddenly it will release. It took me quite a while of frustration and praying, when it finally came loose. I have not used a m42 adapter since. I did buy a Pentax adapter after this episode, though I have not had the courage to put a M42 lens on any of my Pentax cameras since the last episode. (BTW, if your key is totally mangled, don't worry too much, as you may be able to make it move using a pair of unused chopsticks shaped to fit the slot)

Good luck and I hope you are able to get the adapter off.

Best regards,
-thepusher
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 10:13 AM   #17

As I have said in the past I quit using adapters with the springs still attached until I finally learned to use (Attach and remove properly) my M42 adapters. The first time I also mangled my Removal Key then after getting really mad with it I forced it off breaking the small screws that hold the springs on. They all fell down into the camera around my sensor and gave me quite a scare till I finally got them out. Here is how I finally learned the way to use an adapter. I bought a used non-working ME Super camera on Ebay for next to nothing. Then I used it to practice on. After getting very comfortable, I then started using it on my K10D. Using one is a snap after you get used to it....but I would not recommend trying for the first time on my new camera. Actually a used Focal brand or any other cheap tele-converter can be used to practice on. Just they way I see it. Good luck with your's ...I mean that too.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
As I have said in the past I quit using adapters with the springs still attached until I finally learned to use (Attach and remove properly) my M42 adapters. The first time I also mangled my Removal Key then after getting really mad with it I forced it off breaking the small screws that hold the springs on. They all fell down into the camera around my sensor and gave me quite a scare till I finally got them out. Here is how I finally learned the way to use an adapter. I bought a used non-working ME Super camera on Ebay for next to nothing. Then I used it to practice on. After getting very comfortable, I then started using it on my K10D. Using one is a snap after you get used to it....but I would not recommend trying for the first time on my new camera. Actually a used Focal brand or any other cheap tele-converter can be used to practice on. Just they way I see it. Good luck with your's ...I mean that too.
Well I bought a Bower Brand Adapter and must say it is a piece of trash. I did what I normally do and mounted it to a TC. It will not come off. I now will have to remove the Bezel of the lens to get it off. It will turn back 3/4 of the way but it will not go far enough back to come off....I REPEAT ...IT IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE!! dON'T BUY THE BOWER BRAND OF M42 ADAPTER!!!!

I feel horrible that I may have contributed to you buying this sorry adapter. I have and will continue to enjoy using M42 lenses but feel it is incumbent on me to sort the available adapters out there. I hope this can be of assistance to anyone that is thinking of getting M42 lenses and adapters to use on their cameras.

The following is a start on that list....

1. The Pentax brand adapter is the best I've seen so far.

2 The Kenko brand is almost as good as the Pentax brand.

3. The General brand is almost an exact copy of the Kenko one and does a good job.

4 the flange type works very well but does not allow infinity focus for most lens camera combination's.

5. THE BOWER BRAND IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE AND CAN BE HARMFUL TO YOUR CAMERA. DO NOT BUY THIS ADAPTER!!!!!!!
Old May 9, 2010, 7:35 PM   #19

while im glad someone sees that im not just incapable of following directions, i am sorry you suffered the same fate as me.

did you ever get this off yet?

Im still not sure what to do. Do you think pentax will remove the adapater for me if i send it to them?
Old May 10, 2010, 9:19 AM   #20

well pentax customer support is A class as well. I havent called yet for an estimate but have everything I need to go ahead and send it away. The support rep even offered to call the repair office on my behalf to receive the estimate but I passed on the offer, to not take his or my time. Hopefully they can quickly fix this and clean out the camera body for something that isnt too hard on my wallet.

thanks again for all the help guys and do beware of this bower adapter,