Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2010, 9:50 PM   #1

Default more m42 problems

alright, this time the m42 adapter just wont come off so i need to look at alternative methods for removing this piece of trash... I dont know why or how this happened but it went on for the last time. If it comes off this time its not going back on, Im gonna look into a pentax branded M42 but in the mean time, is there a way to get this thing off without cutting it? When i press the spring locking mechanism in, the adapter still wont budge. I can movie it slightly but that last turn to get it to remove is where it just refuses to go any more. Are there any other things I can try? I tried reading about this but there didnt seem to be any solutions other than luck and brute force combinations. I tried for several hours today, this is not fun!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 9:52 PM   #2

oh i want to add, the M42 k mount adapter's own removal tool now looks like a mangled paperclip, thats how hard its on there. It got so bent up from me trying to get it turn that now its unusable.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:14 PM   #3

i mangled mine too
something else i found is that the tool can sit to far in and when you turn it, it catches on part of the internal k mount of the body and thats as far as it turns
hope it helps
Old May 4, 2010, 10:10 AM   #4

bump, sorry i wish i could say that helped. The spring loaded mechanism seems to be all sorts of mangled from me trying different things. Im not sure if im to pull it in or out at this point but nothing seems to be working still. Does anyone have any other techniques or methods and or ideas about removing the k mount altogether to try to take it apart from the other side?
Old May 4, 2010, 9:43 PM   #5

sorry to keep bumping this, im just in a frenzy with this thing stuck on here and not sure what else to do. hoping one of u has a solution. I swear this is last bump before I just let this thread die.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:38 AM   #6

So sorry for this problem. Sure wish I had a good solution for you. Perhaps this will require professional repair shop?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 9:52 AM   #7

Only thing I can think of is trying to seal the sensor area as best you can and taking a Dremel to the adaptor. Not recommended, but depends if you want to take the cheap option at the risk of damaging the camera.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 11:17 AM   #8

For some adaptors only:
Don't forget to hold the lens release button on the camera at the same time you are attempting removal of the M42 adaptor.
bb2

Some general comments:
A number of postings at various blog sites say you should remove the metal tab on the non-genuine Pentax M42 adaptor. I took this advice and no problems. Just having a look at the genuine and non-genuine adaptors, I can see that there are subtle differences in the construction between the two brands. I also have the flanged type adaptor which is useful with some lenses eg my mirror lens which can focus beyond infinity although can't get to infinity focus with most other lenses. No problems with this type of adaptor apart from the infinity focus issue.

Good luck with your camera/adaptor
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9

NMR : Have you tried posting this on Manual Lenses forums ? Sure someone there will know what to do.

www.forum.mflenses.com
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:53 PM   #10

mole, its looking like it might come to that but theres nothing close to me here and I am a DIY kidna guy, No one breaks my camera but me

Tach, thought about that, i think id stay away from electric tools. Hand tools grant much more control over this and Im pretty sure I could cut it off with sheet metal sheers but yes this is at risk of damaging the k mount itself.

Beachboy, yes I am pressing the K20's lens release button when im trying this. If hindsight was 20/20 I would have removed this tab as well. part of me blames the manufacture for selling this cheap crap that requires additional modifications just to work properly.

This adapter was babied at first and i was so delicate to try to not break it. Im past the delicate stage.

Also, checking into the viewfinder it looks like someone poured coffee grounds inside my camera with all these shavings. Absolutely horrific!!!!!!!! again this isnt on the sensor but even with blowing I cant get the black spots (metal shavings) to blow off. I think theyre on the mirror but I cant be sure, I cant see them really until I look in the viewfinder.

Ive about had it but thanks for the replies guys. Still at my wits end.

Frogfish, thanks for this reccomendation. I will try posting up on that forum and see what i find.

BTW any reccomendations for cleaning the metal shavings out of the inside of the camera body? handful of coffee grounds is not an exxageration