Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 4, 2010, 1:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Despite recent heavy rains, the falls were not that full, but still quite fine. Here are several different views (did some climbing about on the nearby ridges). Would appreciate any input on these!
The last time I was in the mountains, the south was still in the hold of a Drought. Nice to see water flowing in the falls.
Should be in the area week after next and hope to hike up to at least one of the beautiful waterfalls in the are.

Mole,

I think you have the best job in the world. Getting to see all of the beautiful flora in the GSM as you do. Your photos are always superb and I look forward to seeing your posts.

Ed
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 9:34 PM   #12

As far as your waterfalls - the second one is really special. I also like the last waterfall, it's an interesting shot. And I really love the swallowtail - the colors are outstanding!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 9:47 PM   #13

I agree about the 2nd waterfall shot. Really stunning stuff. Great detail on all. I think I prefer the first bee macro, though; the composition is less traditional and the second one loses some detail in the color-on-color around the legs and head.
placematters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 6:03 AM   #14

GW - Thanks for your kind words! The bee shots were some test shots with a new (very used) lens - Sigma APO 70-300. Still learning its light response - you are right that that one is a bit blown. Sure looks like it will be a good lens for butterflies & dragonflies!

NMRecording - Thanks so much! It is a great falls that is not often visited, perhaps because there are several much better-known falls nearby, and also the amazingly scenic Roan Mountain nearby...

Frogfish - Work... what's work??
Yes, I do get to "play" on the trails a lot - yesterday I got to play with chainsaw, handsaw, and some clipping tools for about 4 hours on the trail! (and didn't even get much poison ivy this time!) It sure was a great sunny day to be outdoors!

Dustin - So glad you enjoyed these. I had not tried this particular perspective on Jones Falls before, and was indeed pleased with the results. Thanks!

Ed - Yes, the drought is definitely over. We had a very wet fall and winter, and about normal rainfall this spring. Of course, middle TN got some severe flooding from last weekend's storms.
Where in East Tennessee will you be in a few weeks? Need any suggestions for good places to hike?
Yes I am blessed with a great job!! Thanks for your kind words!

Harriet - Thanks for the kind & helpful comments! Glad you liked the swallowtail too. We have several species, all very attractive "critters."

Placematters - Thanks so much for the input - very helpful!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 6:09 AM   #15

I have to change my job ... sitting 9 hours a day behind a screen isn't it.
(if it didn't pay so good :S)

love the swallow box - they have started placing boxes now on the side of some large buildings to get the swallows we've got a home after they fixed up those houses.
Hope to see some action like this shot.

thanks for posting

Ronny
Old May 5, 2010, 12:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Ed - Yes, the drought is definitely over. We had a very wet fall and winter, and about normal rainfall this spring. Of course, middle TN got some severe flooding from last weekend's storms.
Where in East Tennessee will you be in a few weeks? Need any suggestions for good places to hike?
Yes I am blessed with a great job!! Thanks for your kind words!
Hey Mole,

My wife and I will be on our way back home from Ohio to Savannah on the 18th. We plan to stay a couple of nights in Sevierville, or Gatlinburg.

I'm not a very adept Hiker, so we will probably hike to one of the "easier to get to" water falls. We hiked up to Grotto Falls the last time we were there. I think we'll make the hike to Rainbow Falls this trip. And, of course, we always visit Cades Cove when in the area.

I grew up in Knoxville and can remember when you knew that you knew that you had left Sevierville and when you had arrived in Pigeon Forge.

Of course, the By-Pass around Gatlinburg wasn't there then either.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 5:36 AM   #17

Ronny - Great to hear about the swallow boxes. Hope you do see some fine feathered neighbors soon!

Ed - Indeed Sevierville/Pigeon Forge is growing like kudzu!
Rainbow Falls is a lovely one - but usually rather low flow. You might also want to check out Fern Branch Falls on the Porter Creek Trail (a great place for spring wildflowers as well), and Spruce Flats Falls near Tremont (on your left as you drive towards Cade's Cove). Here are shots of each of these, just to tempt you to stop and take better ones!
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote