Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 5, 2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Default First shots - Tamron 90mm (not great shots)

Well after the joy that was the maybug this morning, my afternoon walk was a bit of a letdown, no interesting insects, not even a bumblebee. Managed to find these gross flies, not sure what they are, we just called them "field flies" as kids. Some pretty flowers out, but nothing special, hoping tomorrow brings something more exciting to share.

Before anyone comments, yes I am aware the point of focus on the flower is a little... phallic...

Fly was about 1.5cm long, with hairy eyes(!)

Really is a great lens, just hope I can find something to shoot that justifies the purchase!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2010, 6:29 PM   #2

Well, congratulations on getting the new lens (finally) these pics are proof of what this lens can do! be patient my friend the opportunities will come.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 6:44 PM   #3

I like them.

It takes a bit to get used to the 90mm Macro Tammy. I don't use mine near as much as I should.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 6:48 PM   #4

Thanks both!

Yeah takes some getting used to a new lens, was rather dismayed after getting some good shots of the maybug while half asleep with the "inferior" Sigma 70-300, then struggling to take a photo's of a flower with the Tamron 90
Old May 6, 2010, 2:05 AM   #5

congrats with the lens, and don't worry there are enough bugs to justifie the purchase

Ronny
Old May 6, 2010, 2:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Well after the joy that was the maybug this morning, my afternoon walk was a bit of a letdown, no interesting insects, not even a bumblebee. Managed to find these gross flies, not sure what they are, we just called them "field flies" as kids. Some pretty flowers out, but nothing special, hoping tomorrow brings something more exciting to share.

Before anyone comments, yes I am aware the point of focus on the flower is a little... phallic...

Fly was about 1.5cm long, with hairy eyes(!)

Really is a great lens, just hope I can find something to shoot that justifies the purchase!
You did not say if it is Adaptall or Di SP version. Either way, Congratulation.
Seems you were shooting it at wide open likely because of low light.
For macro setting , manual focus and F.8 or F.11 are norm. So you need a lot of light.
Shooting at F2.8 gave you very little DoF to work with thus you cannot get enough area of the subject in focus.
Also at this stage , concentrate on fixed subject for testing purpose before you go for the critters.
You are off to a good start. Keep posting

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 2:20 AM   #7

It's the Di SP version, sorry!

Yeah yesterday was really miserable, the clouds rolled in the second I went for my walk (and annoyingly vanished when I got back) I did some more test shots of a house spider using a Chinese LED Ring-flash and they worked better, I could stop down a lot more. Like you said thought, need to keep practicing!

Thanks both
Old May 6, 2010, 9:34 PM   #8

I routinely use f14 or f16 with my macro when I get really close. Flash makes a huge difference, to help you keep your shutter speeds up.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 2:50 AM   #9

Yeah, my old Soligor flash doesn't work on the K-7, so need to get a new one. I try not to use the pop-up flash if I can help it for macro work due to the fixed angle.
Old May 9, 2010, 1:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I routinely use f14 or f16 with my macro when I get really close. Flash makes a huge difference, to help you keep your shutter speeds up.
exactly. i seldom shoot macros at less of f14.
usually f16. f16 is highlighted on the viv105/2.5 so i guess it is built with dof optimized at f16.. i have a really nice DIY macro grip. supports 2 flashes if needed but i've never tried that. ck out the macros from my signature..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote