Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 5, 2010, 7:29 PM   #1

Default Mess Of Legs (arachnophobe "arty shot" warning)

You might have noticed I have been on a bit of a macro-bug session.

I have to admit, I love bugs, the variety, the random evolutionary parts that seem to serve no practical benefit, it's amazing (to me)

Spiders are probably one of my biggest loves, again due to the sheer variety of them.

Sat, watching TV tonight and went into the kitchen to get a drink, and noticed one of those tiny, tiny little long legged house spiders, figured I would dig out the Tamron 90mm and try it with the Chinese LED Macro Flash... sat on the kitchen floor at nearly midnight...

Both worked better than I hoped for, so fired up GIMP (they need to find a better name if they want it to be taken seriously...) and went for a Norman Bates 60's B&W slasher horror sort of look. Thought it looked pretty good so thought I would share it.

Found the whole experience fascinating, didn't realise these little spiders that I see every day (I don't kill or disturb spiders if I can help it) had such interesting features up close, two pairs of triple eyes and twin eyes slap bang in the middle.

Apologies to those not into bugs, and those that might be fed up of my over enthusiasm, marred by lack of skill or creative merit.

Bonus 100% crop shot (probably should have taken the crop before I had messed around with the original image...)

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2010, 8:00 PM   #2

Nice job, Looks to me like you're going to have a ton of fun with that lens!
I like the artistic look. Don't underestimate yourself.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; May 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 10:24 PM   #3

Sorry Tachi - I guess it's Image Shack that China doesn't like I seem to be able to view everyone's else's shots OK though.

Should be OK when I get my Mac back as I use a VPN on that but I'm currently using my wife's VPN-less desktop so I guess that's why I can't see your shots - I'll look for them later

Last edited by Frogfish; May 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 2:44 AM   #4

Hi fella

Let me know if you can see these and I will change the hosting.

Old May 6, 2010, 2:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice job, Looks to me like you're going to have a ton of fun with that lens!
I like the artistic look. Don't underestimate yourself.
Thanks GW, just worried my enthusiasm is getting the best of me lol
Old May 6, 2010, 3:00 AM   #6

Ha ha - great ! I can see them now (but honestly you really didn't need to change host because of me - I just thought you may think it strange / selfish that I post my own macro shots but didn't bother to comment on yours - obviously Jealousy)

I know exactly which spider this is : when I lived in the UK I often used to catch them and put them out the bathroom window whilst the females in the house (not sexism at work here - blatant truth) screamed the house down ! Their legs are incredibly delicate / spindly so you've done an excellent job in capturing them in your photos. Looks like something from a H.G.Wells film & the B&W looks great !

Interesting to see that the LED ring-flash produces the same effects (problem ?) that I have - you can see the LEDs reflected multiple times in the spider's eyes. Not sure how to get around that.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 3:03 AM   #7

Great work especially the artistic look

Ronny
Old May 6, 2010, 3:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Ha ha - great ! I can see them now (but honestly you really didn't need to change host because of me - I just thought you may think it strange / selfish that I post my own macro shots but didn't bother to comment on yours - obviously Jealousy)

I know exactly which spider this is : when I lived in the UK I often used to catch them and put them out the bathroom window whilst the females in the house (not sexism at work here - blatant truth) screamed the house down ! Their legs are incredibly delicate / spindly so you've done an excellent job in capturing them in your photos. Looks like something from a H.G.Wells film & the B&W looks great !

Interesting to see that the LED ring-flash produces the same effects (problem ?) that I have - you can see the LEDs reflected multiple times in the spider's eyes. Not sure how to get around that.
No, I never think it odd if people don't comment on my photo's, even if I comment on theirs, just assume it's not something they are interested in (or it's just a rubbish photo)

Yeah these spiders are so delicate, the legs look as thin as human hair, it's amazing they can move around on them as they are disproportionally long for their body size as well.

Not sure what to do about the reflections either, can be easily painted out on this photo as it's so small, but could be a problem with something bigger.

Happy to change to flickr anyway, gives me easier access to my photo's online rather than having a million randomly generated imageshack URL's

Thanks all!
Old May 6, 2010, 6:46 AM   #9

Very interesting treatment of this cute little critter!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 7:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Thanks GW, just worried my enthusiasm is getting the best of me lol
Not at all, you go girl!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote