Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 6, 2010, 2:55 PM   #11

Wow really great pictures!
How do you make the lovely critters pose for you?
This makes me wanna buy the sigma or tamron 70-300 even more .. did you only use the macro function on your sigma without any macro rings or teleconvertor?

Keep up the nice work!
Old May 6, 2010, 6:35 PM   #12

Great work Mole,
I'm not sure if its because of our unusually cold spell we had this winter or what but, we just don't have the bugs like we normally do.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 7:22 PM   #13

Hi mole,

Another outstanding series!!! The baby Mantis parade and the butterfly brigade are both great captures. I've got a lot of learning to do about critter behavior so I can start taking advantage of more opportunities to shoot these guys --

Your photographic work is a constant inspiration to me.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 7:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post

I'm not sure if its because of our unusually cold spell we had this winter or what but, we just don't have the bugs like we normally do.
Hi GW,

Not to worry, most critters have limited internet access, and the notices for the "Arthropoda Idol" auditions at your place have only recently gone out. . . They should start arriving soon. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 6:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Those Praying Mantis are such fun -- yours look like an invasion from Alien meets Predator !
Yes, Indeed, they do, but maybe more like "The Day of the Triffids" or "Them!".

And the butterflies shots are superb - you really have some colorful ones there.

Last edited by penolta; May 8, 2010 at 6:29 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 6:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi GW,
Not to worry, most critters have limited internet access, and the notices for the "Arthropoda Idol" auditions at your place have only recently gone out. . . They should start arriving soon. . .
Scott
LOL! Scott's right, GW. Summer's almost here, with its hordes of mosquitos, horseflies, sweat bees, sand flies, gnats, and . . . . Well, you know. You'll soon be wishing for that cooler weather!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 6:45 PM   #17

Wonderful pix of insects and flowers. You do have the knack of photography. Your pictures are always excellent, in great natural settings and really appeal to the eye.

I've never been to Tennessee, but seeing your pictures is a real motivator.

I think Tennessee would do well to incorporate some of your pictures in their tourism guides....have you ever forwarded some to the Tennessee Tourism Dept. ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 7:16 AM   #18

Tachikoma - Glad you enjoyed these - yours are just as good!! (keep that camera out of the bin!)

Frogfish - Just a happy accident to have been there when the mantids were hatching (of course, I am out on the trails a lot...). Yes, the dragonflies were taken with the sigma 70-300. Last year I used the Tamron 18-250 (and sometime sigma 105 macro), but wanted to try a little extra reach. The sigma 70-300 seems to do quite well in its macro mode. As far as "sneaking up" on dragonflies, it does take a bit of stalking, but also helps to notice where they perch, because they tend to come back to that same spot again and again.

Dustin - Thanks so much for your very kind words!

JC - Thanks! We are blessed to have a great diversity of insect speces in East TN. Some are better "posers" than others. Yes, this was Sigma 70-300 in macro mode, no teleconverter or rings...

GW - Indeed an unusual winter. Will be glad to mail you some ticks & mosquitoes - we have plenty!

Scott - You are too kind! And I am blessed that part of my job is to learn the "critter" behavior. It does indeed help me teach others better, and helps photography too.

Penolta - Thanks so much!

Les - Thanks for your very kind words. Yes, a few of my photos have been used by various state agencies.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 8:24 AM   #19

mole, as always, a wonderful series of photographs. You are part of my motivation to get out to parks and enjoy everything that nature has to offer. Keep them coming.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 4:47 PM   #20

Mike - Thanks so much! One big goal for my photos is to encourage folks to get out and enjoy. Your great photos often accomplish the same!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote