Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 7, 2010, 9:06 PM   #1

Default A few macros from this afternoon...

I had kind of an interesting afternoon when I came home from work today. there was a mocking bird out back just a singing up a storm so, I thought I'd see if I could get a shot of him. Too far up in a tree with back lighting so no good but, while I was standing in the yard looking up at the trees, suddenly without any warning a pair of Red Bellied woodpeckers came swooshing in and around the yard almost hitting me in the head! they were obviously more interest in there courting than they were over me. they landed in a near by tree and played hide and seek with each other while I tried unsuccessfully to get a decent shot of them, lighting was all wrong so I went inside to get the 540 flash to see if that would help. when I came back out they were still playing around but, the female flew off while the male let me snap a few shots. He seemed fascinated by the flash and sat there cocking his head and looking at me trying to figure out what the heck was going on. finally he remembered his primary interest and turned to look for his girlfriend...
The photos didn't turn out worth a darn but it was fun trying. looks like they might be setting up housekeeping in the back yard so perhaps I'll have other chances.

Then I decided to get the macro lens and see if I could get any
interesting bugs... just so so shots, got to get back in practices. Seems I always blow the highlights or else the subject is too dark, one or the other...

This was kind of funny, as I watched him land on a leaf slightly out of view, I had to bend forward to get him in the frame and as I did, I could see him crouch and turn his attention towards me and just look at me. I could swear he had a curious look on his face.

As I was going back into the house, my dog was going nuts trying to
catch a little snake. I managed to rescue it from her and took in in the house where I confined it to a plastic bowl while I took a couple shots before letting it loose in the front yard away from the dog.

Isn't he cute? Such big eyes!

Thanks for looking...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2010, 9:18 PM   #2

Ya can't fool me. Those woodpecker shots ain't macros! But, you sure had an interesting time, eh? How many people can say they almost got run over by a woodpecker? heheheh Nice shooting.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 9:51 PM   #3

GW, nice shots. On the bee, you could just select the white highlights on the flower then dupe the original shot over top and invert the selection and cut so only the flower comes up. Maybe use fill light and turn the contrast down on that layer so the blending flower darkens to reveal the texture. or simply use darken as the blending mode and set the opacity to taste.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 11:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
GW, nice shots. On the bee, you could just select the white highlights on the flower then dupe the original shot over top and invert the selection and cut so only the flower comes up. Maybe use fill light and turn the contrast down on that layer so the blending flower darkens to reveal the texture. or simply use darken as the blending mode and set the opacity to taste.
Google Translate isn't worth a darn ...... it couldn't do a thing with that paragraph.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 3:47 AM   #5

Can't see the photo's, I can see the browser trying to load things from "goldwinger.zenfolio.com" but no images appear.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 2:26 AM   #6

Strange macro shots you've got GW, especially that itsy bitsy tiny bird.

Without kidding, great series if I had to pick favorites it would be the snake.

Ronny
Old May 10, 2010, 2:57 AM   #7

Ah I can see them now!

Yeah have to agree with the others, great shots, love the second snake photo, great colour and detail!
Old May 10, 2010, 2:44 PM   #8

Thank you for all the comments guys.
I know the first two look like normal woodpecker shots but really these where quite small.
What looks like an oak tree is really just a twig!

NMR, Yeah, there are some tricks I could use, and would if it was worth all the trouble, I just didn't think it was all that great.

Tachi, I'm not sure why, is this the first time you've experienced trouble viewing my photos? Are you able to view my Zinfolio site?
http://goldwinger.zenfolio.com/?customize=2
you can see all the photos that have ever been posted, and lot that haven't.

Ronny, Thank you for the compliment, mine too!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; May 10, 2010 at 2:47 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 6:19 AM   #9

GW - Some really fine backyard shots! Your RB Woodpeckers are much less shy than ours (or maybe they thought you were me, and were after this "blockhead"). I agree with your comments on the wasp face. Snake photos really nice - especially #3.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post

Tachi, I'm not sure why, is this the first time you've experienced trouble viewing my photos? Are you able to view my Zinfolio site?
http://goldwinger.zenfolio.com/?customize=2
you can see all the photos that have ever been posted, and lot that haven't.
Yeah was the first time I had troubles, I tried accessing that site after I saw it trying to load the images, and I got a blank page. Was probably just a DNS problem, seems to be fine now.