Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2010, 3:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubonker View Post
Which camera? If its higher end pentax, they should be able to take some abuse.
K10D. It fell from a distance of 6 feet still attached to the Tripod, then bounced waist high detached from (or I should say ripped from the tripod). After bouncing three or four more times it finally came to a rest. It had the bottom plate broken and now gives a memory card error if a card is inserted. Everything else works fine as long as a card is not in it.
Old May 10, 2010, 8:17 AM   #12

I had the K10 with an old 135mm Ricoh lens drop from my lap to the pavement while I was sitting in an SUV. At least a 2ft drop. Both survived with just a slight scuff on the camera body.

I own a Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 backpack that always makes me nervous since it is so easy to forget and then watch everything fall. That is why I tend to like shoulder bags like the Nova series from Lowepro. I only use the backpack when hiking since a shoulder bag can get pretty heavy on one shoulder.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 10, 2010, 4:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
K10D. It fell from a distance of 6 feet still attached to the Tripod, then bounced waist high detached from (or I should say ripped from the tripod). After bouncing three or four more times it finally came to a rest. It had the bottom plate broken and now gives a memory card error if a card is inserted. Everything else works fine as long as a card is not in it.
Ed, just put a roll of film in it and you'll be just fine.

A lot of you remember my first camera, the Samsung GX10. That was my first disaster, when I did basically the same thing Kevin did. The other accident was losing my camera bag full of gear as I was ridding my motor cycle... looking back in time to see my camera (new K20) and lenses hit the ground! Fortunately the camera was OK but, lost a Tamron SP 70-210, an SP 28-70 and one PK/A adapter. lesson learned.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 8:46 AM   #14

I'm not a Pentax owner either, but did have a potentially nasty camera accident many moons ago (1990).

I had a Fuji STX-2 35mm SLR with 28mm primary, 50mm primary and 70-210 tele-zoom. I was visiting the Sesriem canyon in Namibia. The underground stream emerges from underneath a plateau, i.e. the source of the canyon is a muddy river almost covered by a roof of rock, with just a narrow crack in the rock roof. This aerial photo by Brian J. MacMorrow gives an impression - the source is at the far right of the picture:

I was standing on the rock roof, over the source, one foot on each side of the crack (about 2 feet across), trying to shoot down into the canyon, and had forgotten the flap of my front-loading (!) camera bag open. The tele-zoom fell out, from chest height onto the rock, then started rolling towards the crack. Somehow I managed to grab it before it (or I) fell down 30 feet into the muddy waters...

The daylight filter that I used as a lens protector had a slight nick in its rim - that's all. The lens works to this day. (The camera, sadly, has died.)

Lucky? You bet!

Mark
Old May 14, 2010, 12:20 AM   #15

had a couple of old K1000s fall while on a tripod at full hieght, both survived, but dented,
one didnt survive the dunking in the river, the other i still have and it works
an me super that fell while on a tripod didnt survive, the pcb inside broke (it would still work on b though)
an ist ds that fell off the car seat to many times, now the shutter speeds and f stops dont progress in an orderly fashion, although if you do manage to jag the right setting, it still works
my k10d is insured
Old May 14, 2010, 3:48 AM   #16

Mine was a very happy accident!

I was in Bogotá, and had brought one of my Program A analog bodies, a flash and a couple of lenses. That was about what I had in those days, and I brought the camera more for plight and documentation than for joy. Colour slide film was already becoming hard to find and expensive, and photography wasn't as fun as it had been in earlier years. Digital was beyond my dreams.

So when I and my workmate left for a few days work in Medellín, I didn't bring the camera. I left it in it's bag on the floor in his mothers apartment. Whilst we were away, a tube to the washing machine came loose, and the entire flat was filled with a 2 cm deep layer of water. My workmate's father called us to tell about the accident, and that they had done what they hoped was right with my camera. (What they had done was taking off the lens cap to dry out the innards )

Obviously, the camera was far beyond rescue. So why so happy?
Well, reading the fine print I realised that my Visa card had an insurance covering "accidental or sudden, unforseen damage", without excess!
So coming home I reported the damage, and was compensated very generously. The company based the sum on prices from a used gear dealer, but I started to browse the internet. The money sufficed to an upgrade to a Super A body with lenses, accessories and a bag!

So suddenly photography became fun again. And I discovered the internet sales sites and ebay! As cost for film and developing started to take it's share of the family budget, my wife started to talk me into digital! Thats some wife, guys!

Well, basically I can thank that tube and my wife for being on this forum.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 7:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Mine was a very happy accident!

So suddenly photography became fun again. And I discovered the internet sales sites and ebay! As cost for film and developing started to take it's share of the family budget, my wife started to talk me into digital! Thats some wife, guys!

Well, basically I can thank that tube and my wife for being on this forum.

Kjell

Kjell, can I rent your wife while I'm suffering with LBA!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 12:53 AM   #18

Bad thread! Bad thread ! Definitely bad mojo. Bringing things in after two hours of unsuccessful lightning shooting....I moved my tripod.....and found my K-7 was not properly attached when it bounced off concrete. Think I was lucky.....tried K-7 w9ith attached Sigma 18-50 f/2.8....so far, so good

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 2:22 AM   #19

I haven't had any bad incidents yet, many close calls, mostly with my 11-16 though this being one of them

On the other hand, though i haven't had any accidents, i have beat the crap out of my plastic d90, It is now officially being held together by grip tape until i can afford a D2xs.....hopefully...

Old May 19, 2010, 4:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Kjell, can I rent your wife while I'm suffering with LBA!
Well, she's to good to let for rent.

But on the positive side she does approve your buying more lenses, she firmly stated that!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote