Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 7, 2010, 11:37 PM   #1

Default Camera Accidents

Yesterday I thought my backpack was zipped up ..... it wasn't. As I picked it up I was lucky that most of the lenses just fell a few inches onto the sofa, but the camera and attached lens fell 18 inches onto the wooden floor ..... guess the camera must have hit first and that metal frame proved it's worth. All checks went well .... I dodged one there.

Post your close shaves (or fully fledged accidents) ..... just maybe you can save someone else some heartache (I know you will all be double checking you zipped up from now on)
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2

I posted mine a while back. Got a new camera as a result but it is still too painful to bring it up again.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:14 AM   #3

Ouch BD - that's sounds awful whatever it was !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 9:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Ouch BD - that's sounds awful whatever it was !
Go here for the details. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ld-friend.html
Old May 8, 2010, 10:08 AM   #5

Which camera? If its higher end pentax, they should be able to take some abuse.
shubonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 12:34 AM   #6

I've done the lens-falls-out-of-bag trick more than once. The last time was recently and it was the DA*50-135 that fell out of the bag when it was on my back because I had hooked the clip but not one side of the zipper on the Kata 3N1-30 bag when I was changing lenses. It's probably a good thing I'm short - the lens hit the dirt path I was on but didn't break. That poor lens seems to catch all of my mistakes (probably because I use it often) - there's a tiny thin scratch on the front element because I kept forgetting to put the front cap on when I'd put it in the camera bag. Once I lost control of it when I was changing lenses and it landed on the reversed hood, knocking off the little door for the polarizer filter.

One catastrophe that almost happened - I had just bought my tripod and I had the K20 and A*300 on it. It was quite windy and I didn't think about putting a camera bag/weight on the hook - the wind caught the camera and it started to go over just as I was about to reach back into the car for something. That would have been VERY bad and I've been extremely careful about the tripod since then.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 6:38 AM   #7
Super Moderator

OK, I'm not Pentax we all know that.... please don't hate me (actually you will probably enjoy the potential damage to Canon gear LOL).

A year or so back shooting some moon shots I was making some adjustments to the camera, honestly can't remember quite what or how, but I know that it resulted in the 1DmkIII with Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and a couple of TCs taking a fall. Fortunately I managed to get to it on the way down with just a small superficial bit of damage to the hood..... phew!!!

A couple of weeks ago my future mother in law came over and I had my Tamrac bag (rucksack) on a chair as I had been cleaning/sorting kit ready for a shoot. I hadn't finished so the main pocket was closed but not zipped. She went to pick it up by the main handle, standing it up from its back, fortunately I managed to get to her before it was up far enough for things to fall out (I think that was helped by the weight of everything in there).

So, that's two times that I could have been calling on my camera insurance company..... well I pay them enough money so they need to be used at some point lol.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 6:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
(actually you will probably enjoy the potential damage to Canon gear LOL)
Not at all, one thing I have noticed, is Pentax users tend to be less caught up on brand names and the rivalry you get between Nikon and Canon users.

Glad the gear was ok though, not like a 1D MkIII is cheap to replace!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 8:14 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I know it's fine, I was just messing about the camera brand thing

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 8:41 AM   #10

In my experience with camera accidents, several times with friends, twice with wife, are people taking the camera out of the bag, ignoring the neck or hand straps and then dropping the camera. I set my cameras up as shown below with the straps outside the case so they cannot be ignored and should be the first thing you do as the camera comes out of the case. For the curious, left to right: Pentax Km, Canon SX110 IS, Pentax Kx and Panasonic FZ8 zoom.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote